Apple student discount

Reaction score
I know that you can receive a discount on their official website, but do they offer the discount in the retail stores?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yes. You will need your student ID.

What I have done, since my wife is the one with the ID, is log into her University account there in the store - making sure it does not save the password.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram
They're making you show proof of studenthood now? They offer the same discount to teachers. When I ordered my MBP in 2006 I did it over the phone and just told them I was a teacher and they gave me the discount (BTW, I really am a teacher).

When my sister bought her powerbook G4 some 6 years ago she talked to the customer service rep and asked, "My brother is a teacher. Can I have him call in and order the computer for me so I can get the discount?" The rep told her not to bother and he went ahead and gave her the discount.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 27" iMac 2.8GHz i7 8GB Ram | Mid 2007 15" Macbook Pro 2.4GHz 4 GB Ram | iPhone 4s | iPad 3
Ordered mine on the internet with student discount, I wasn't a student at the time. From what I understand, apple gets a tax break for offering the discount so they don't really care.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
They're making you show proof of studenthood now? They offer the same discount to teachers. When I ordered my MBP in 2006 I did it over the phone and just told them I was a teacher and they gave me the discount (BTW, I really am a teacher).

When my sister bought her powerbook G4 some 6 years ago she talked to the customer service rep and asked, "My brother is a teacher. Can I have him call in and order the computer for me so I can get the discount?" The rep told her not to bother and he went ahead and gave her the discount.

Well some people are nice, and some people are stickler for the rules. >_>"

Reaction score
how much discount do you get at Apple?

I know best buy have me $100 off. all that did was pretty much make it tax free but still, to me that's a good chunk of change :)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Depends on the product and the configuration apparently. Some things students don't get a discount on as well. Shown here:

20110108-gmmpe3w93tsa1dpwrb3i5kpm32.jpg

Notice how students don't get discount on the iPad. T_T

20110108-ehsqp128rbb9ygd5pbhn5fa5wi.jpg

For the MBPs it's anywhere from 100-200 dollars off depending on the configuration.

20110108-g6sw6j6s6ksp7g62x2sr5tx4k5.jpg

Different story for the MBA though, as it's 50 dollars off straight across the board. I guess that's the price you pay for portability. >_>"

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Apple has been fairly lenient with discounts in the past. As far as I'm aware, they still offer discounts to various organizations, associations that have registered with them, and of course educational discounts. Additionally, Apple also sells to non profit organizations at a discount and usually will forgo the state sales tax. (Depends on the state, however.)

And of course if you're in the military or are a retired military member, you can purchase Apple products in the various military exchanges at a lower price and with no sales tax.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram
And of course if you're in the military or are a retired military member, you can purchase Apple products in the various military exchanges at a lower price and with no sales tax.
Interesting...I did not know that. What if you're a retired military teacher...can you get a double discount?!!

Seriously though, my dad is a retired Army chaplain. If they get a bigger discount than teachers I'll have him order my next Apple product...but I"m sure it's a standard discount across the board.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can easily find out. Have your Dad price out a typical MBP at the nearest military exchange that he uses. And BTW, give your Dad a big hello and thanks - I know how hard military Chaplains work. :)

Reaction score

I wish all the rep from apple would be that nice in giving away discounts :Cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.