Hardware space.... Clearing memory

Reaction score
Hi All & thank you for reading this post.

I am new to the mac and therefore really appreciate any advice i can gather from here.

Right, so i have a mac desktop that we use for editing videos at work (basic videos), the desktop has a hardware capacity of just under 1000 GB and i have 21 GB left. There are several strange goings on that i have never experienced before and shouldn't be happening, i believe they are a consequence of the lack of space left on the desk top....

I recently bought an external hard drive and have moved 'what i thought was everything' onto the external hard drive... I thought that this would completely clear the desk top space and give me a 'clean mac', again! But no!
Why is this the case? I have cleared my junk box/trash can... And don't many applications...

What is the issue? How can i get the 1000 GB space back?

Many thanks!!
Ed

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Are you absolutely sure you emptied the trash?

- Nick

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
are you sure you moved them, not just copied?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
When you move items off your computer, it's sends a copy to the external, not the original file. After everything is on the external drive, you need to delete what you don't want on your Mac in the trash can.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.