splitting/mirroring a video signal

Reaction score
So I got a new HDTV with a VGA input. I have had an external monitor plugged into the Macbook Pro DVI port to expand my video and help multitask.

I bought a video splitter that plugs into my MBP DVI port and has two female inputs, one vga and one dvi. So I can mirror the signal normally sent to my ext monitor the tv as well, without having to mess with plugging and unplugging. It's not working as expected. It can send a signal to each one through either port, but not at the same time. If I have both plugged into it, it will only send the signal to the TV.

Any feedback on why this isn't working and how I can get around it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I suppose the first question would be ..... is this really a splitter? Is it capable off splitting the signal to two ports simultaneously?

Do you have a link/make/model of the 'splitter'?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
My guess is that the signal is not actually being split but more likely distributed. Without some type of signal boosting being performed I am not sure a strong enough signal would be produced.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.