• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Streaming Netflix Worth It?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro - 2.4GHz C2D - 4GB RAM - 250GB Hard Drive
How big is Netflix's selection for instant streaming? I'm looking at signing up but mostly every movie/show I put in says available on DVD/BlueRay and not Streaming.

For those people that stream Netflix, are you guys happy with it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
I use Netflix streaming more for TV than Movies. I find that they instant watch movie selection is not great, but they have a nice amount of older and semi-recent tv shows.

I am very happy with Netflix. My advice to you, take a look at the TV library as well as the movie library. See how many shows/movies you want to watch are available and then make your decision based on that. Keep in mind, Netflix is constantly adding more content to their instant watch library.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess for $7.99 a month, you can't go wrong. Even if the selection isn't huge right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
I guess for $7.99 a month, you can't go wrong. Even if the selection isn't huge right now.

Agreed. DO you have a way of streaming Netflix to a tv? In my opinion that's the best way to do it. Personally, I use the Apple TV 2, but these days almost every device that connects to your tv has Netflix compatibility. Currently I believe the PS3 has the best Netflix streaming capabilities, with support for 5.1 surround sound and subtitles on select shows. I'm sure that in time other netflix players will be updated to match those features though...

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
If you're looking to find the lastest movies streamed, Netflix might disappoint. There might be a hand full of new releases that go straight to instant watch every week though. You pretty much have to search through the instant watches to find what you like.

Here's my favorite site, I use it to find instant watches on Netflix, it's so useful: instantwatcher.com - Movies and TV to watch instantly on Netflix

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just got Apple TV 2 as a gift so that is what I will be using to stream Netflix.

iWhat - Thanks for the info on that great site!!!! I can def see how useful this site will be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
Up until recently we had netflix and we streamed it through our Wii and Xbox 360. I still miss it occasionally.

I found it to be quite awesome and I was able to watch a nice healthy portion of movies and t.v. shows. Unfortunately, they didn't have alot of the educational shows my son likes, such as Yo Gabba Gabba and Nihao Kai'Lan. Mostly Barney and Thomas, so we switched back to cable...at least I can watch the superbowl, now.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I too am disappointed with the lack of children's shows - especially all Nick Jr. ones.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Absolutely. I like being able to see the entire series of lost and other tv shows without having to wait week to week for a new episode.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I too am disappointed with the lack of children's shows - especially all Nick Jr. ones.

Probably should email Nick and tell them that. I'm sure it's a licensing thing and Netflix isn't excluding them. Tell Nick you want their shows on Netflix.

Reaction score
netflix

It has a good selection for young kids (dora, thomas, barney) and not documetaries. But as movie selection goes, i'm disappointed, mostly older movies. can't beat the price though.,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.