Wireless access issues

Reaction score
This is my first post and i have a question that is probably easily solved, but it has me stumped right now.

I work in a high school that has recently installed wireless routers around the school. My 12" g4 powerbook has airport and detects the routers but refuses to access them. I have played around in 'Network' and tried entering proxy settings as suggested by the IT staff but have had no luck. I've also discussed the problem with the IT staff at the school but they're a little scared or uneducated about macs and haven't come up with a solution. The whole school runs on Windows and i'm the only Mac user here.

So does anybody know how i access the internet around school?

Big thanks.

Dan

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Do you know, if they use any sort of wireless encryption with their wireless network?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
or maybe, like my router, its set to only allow specific computers. since every computer has MAC addresses i set my router to only allow my dads laptop and my ibook. so maybe yours is too.

Reaction score
It's probably set up for mac filtering. I would get a hold of a pc and see how they connect. Or get a hold of someone from the IT department at school

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
I have this problem as well, except that the internet connection is at a local coffee shop. My friend has a 12" powerbook and he cant connect just fine, but for some reason I can not. Airport sees the network but just will not connect to it.

OP
D
Reaction score
sooo. No luck. I will ask about MAC filtering. Seems strange that they would try and stop Macs from joining in.

Dan

M

meatychi

Its not that they are trying to stop MACs joining its a security feature so that you can control what computers are connecting and using the resource!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
MAC filtering doesnt mean Macintosh, see every computer has a MAC address which is permanent. routers (some) give the ability to block connections from unknown MAC adresses (computers). and some are set to specifically allow connections to certain computers, like my router. it only allows wireless connection to my ibook and my dads old dell. got it?

B

Biturbo V12 AMG

MY HS and college have the samething you can detected it but cant join it. in HS they wouldnt give out the passwords for students but in college we get a username and password for us. so my guess is they have passwords set up to prevent none teachers/students from using the internet. its a liability issue to have a public facility giving out free internet so they have to put passwords on it.

M

Merlinblack

Biturbo V12 AMG said:
MY HS and college have the samething you can detected it but cant join it. in HS they wouldnt give out the passwords for students but in college we get a username and password for us. so my guess is they have passwords set up to prevent none teachers/students from using the internet. its a liability issue to have a public facility giving out free internet so they have to put passwords on it.

Sounds like there might be a password or security issue I agree.

At the university here to use a mac on the wireless network you have to ssh in your username and password. A windows computer when connecting automatically asks for a username/password making it easy for the non mac users.

Ask IT about authentication. Also (this is a longshot) check to see if you computer name is >20 characters in length. I was having trouble with my home router and my PB's name was huge once I changed it down to 4 characters it worked like a charm.

Hopefully that helps

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.