Cracked screen. Should I buy a new MB or fix current one?

Reaction score
I just got home from going to a restaurant with some friends. I brought my macbook with me, but never ended up using it. Somehow between going to the restaurant and coming home, my screen cracked. Now about a third of my screen is completely white.

My question is, should I go ahead and fix this screen, which from my research looks like it will cost 400-500 bucks, or do I buy a new computer? Other than the cracked screen, my computer works really well, but it is 3 and half years old. I know macs can last up to 5+ years, but should I just take the money I would have put into repairing my current mac and just buy a brand new one?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A computer that is 3 to 4 years old is probably not worth spending 300 or 400 hundred dollars to repair. I would put that money toward buying a new one. You can always copy your data from the old machine to the new one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.5 Ghz i5 with 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD.
I would buy a new one. You could also take your RAM and put it in a new one (if its compatible) ect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs, 1 MBP, 1 UMB, 1 mini
The panels are about $100 on eBay, and there are complete walk throughs on ifixit.com. It is a complicated repair, but the guides will make it much easier for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.