Relocating Apps purchased in Mac App Store

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
...or as I like to call it the MAppS.

Anyways, I just purchased Angry Birds from the App Store on my MBP. It automatically places it in Applications Folder. I like to keep all my games in my *ta-daa* Game folder (located in the directory that is my actual name). I went to move it and Finder popped up a message asking for my Apple ID password to authorize the move. I canceled because that made me wonder if it was smart/safe to move it. When there are future updates to the App, will it be found if it isn't in the location it was originally installed in? Hmm...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I just moved it as it recognized I had other stuff installed like iWork (in its own iWork folder) but I figured I would try putting my downloads into directories like games. If anything went wrong I would just move it back. (hopefully) So far everything is still working but nothing has been updated yet.

OP
MYmacROX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Yeah, but that's exactly what I'm thinking towards is future updates. The description for Angry Birds in the MAppS said there will be additional levels in the future too. :/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini
I made a FIle Folder on the Desktop named "Games".
I left the Games in the Application Folder then created alias's for the apps and put them into the Games Folder on the Desktop.

This allows you to keep the Apps in the Applications Folder in case any updates are looking for them but gives you the connivence of collecting them into one folder.

DavidH

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm going along with MYmacROX and just leave them where they were installed to - the applications folder. You can bet that is probably where they'll be looked for when updates are ready to be installed.

You would "think" the App Store updater (or whatever it's called) could look in: MacIntosh HD\Library\Receipts and find out what it needs there. Not so sure that's what it will do. Anyway, I suspect if it doesn't find the app where it's supposed to be, it'll give an error and won't download.

However, that shouldn't stop us from manually downloading updates.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
...or as I like to call it the MAppS.

Anyways, I just purchased Angry Birds from the App Store on my MBP. It automatically places it in Applications Folder. I like to keep all my games in my *ta-daa* Game folder (located in the directory that is my actual name). I went to move it and Finder popped up a message asking for my Apple ID password to authorize the move. I canceled because that made me wonder if it was smart/safe to move it. When there are future updates to the App, will it be found if it isn't in the location it was originally installed in? Hmm...

I keep my apps sorted as well, and moved one of my App Store games to my Games subfolder. The App Store continues to recognize it as installed. So it "should" be ok to move it and not miss out on updates. Worst thing that can happen is that you'll have to move it back out temporarily to get an update, but I suspect it's more likely you'd simply wind up the new version in /Applications and the old left in the subfolder. Regardless, you can re-download anything you've ever bought without paying again.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have some things such as games in subfolders in the Applications folder. Rather than uses a folder of Aliases I am thinking of using Smart Folders as subfolders for organization. Any comments.suggestions would be appreciated. That should avoid any potential problems with moving the apps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Just upgraded a few apps - seems to upgrade where I put it - so everything in /Applications/Games updated and stayed there. So it seems you can move it into folders if you want.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.