Older W/M PC guy seeks MAC guy N/S N/D

Reaction score
Dear Moderator,
Just read the stickie at top of forum.... please direct this question if necessary to the correct forum. As I really do not know what exactly my problem is. Thanks

Hello There,

First let me say that...
I know absolutely nothing about MACs
But am willing to learn....

I work for the Salvation Army and at times I work on donated PC's and get them in workable condition for resale. Today we got our very first MAC laptop. I don't have the model number with me at this moment.

But here is what I got..
When I turned it on I got a reddish screen and in the very center of that screen was a very small square with what appeared to be the image of a folder with a black question mark in it. Then the question mark changed into what appeared to be the profile of a man's head. It just kept switching back and forth from question mark to head.

Has anyone seen this before? A guy I know said that I had to "rebuild the drive" or some term like that, (he could not remember the exact phrase).
This he said would be accomplished by hitting a certain key combination.
Have any of you heard of this?

I sure do welcome any imput you may have, as this will be an opportunity for me to learn about these machines.

Thanks in advance :0]
davidgsmith

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
This sounds like the flashing ? that appears from time to time. It generally means the computer cannot find some important System files needed to finish booting. This could be due to minor drive errors or complete hard drive failure. Lets take this one step at a time: Did the previous owner provide you with any CDs/DVDs for the machine? If so what is written on them/What color are they?

Welcome to the board by the way.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi David:

You're in the right forum but before anyone can help out with the Mac you have, we're going to need some details. If possible, give us the model number. Maybe one of your fellow workers there in Salvation Army has a Mac or is familiar with them and can identify it.

In order to really trouble shoot any Mac you're also going to need the original install media that came with it. I know that it's donated and you may not have the disk but if you do by chance have it, that's a step in the right direction.

Mac notebooks models vary: It could be a Powerbook, iBook, MacBook, MacBook Pro, and so forth. That's why we need to know exactly which Mac you have.

Post back to this same thread.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks guys,

The model No. on the laptop is A1001

There was a DVD with it....

Mac OS X Tiger
Includes Xcode2

It's black and has a big silver X on it.

I hope this can help us.
Thanks
davidgsmith

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.