Stupid Apple Authorized Service Providers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
hello everyone!

Yesterday i went to an "apple authorized service provider". My ibook has a small crack underneath the microphone, nothing is wrong with the computer itself, but i'm afraid it might continue to crack through the entireside and break a peiace off so my LCD gets damaged. I contacted apple earlier in the month and they said i had to visit the "aithorized apple service provider", and if they said the the crack was not caused from "abuse", it could be fixed by apple. They also said that they could pull up a file, my "apple case number", and write some notes on it. The guys couldn't have been bigger jerks. They said it was obviously caused by abuse, and i know it was not because i watch the computer very carefully and nothing has happened to it. I asked if i could send it back to apple to see if they would even look at it and possibly have a different view. They said no, "if we looked at it and we said abuse, they will too". Do you think that there is any chance of apple saying that it wasn't abuse and getting it fixed under my warranty?

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Yep, that looks like abuse to me too! No, I say you got nothing to loose by sending your iBook in to have that looked at. By the time Apple ships the iBook to themselves and back to you, I would think that they would just go ahead with the repair and make it worth their while.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I disagree.

My experience with Apple's service depot was definitely not in the league of "going ahead with the repair to make it worth their while."

Some of you may recall in another thread how I was having problems with white spots on my 12" iBook. The geniuses at the Apple Store said there was a problem, and after the service people got their hands on it for a few days, they were preparing to ship it back as "no problem found." I managed to get ahold of someone and after explaining (repeatedly and firmly) that Apple's own people said the LCD should be replaced, they finally agreed to do it. Had I not called, the iBook would have been sent back to the Apple Store, all at their expense, with no repair made.

My recommendation to MacAttack is to tell Apple that you want to send it into the service department because it's an obvious defect. Frankly, I'm surprised they told you to go to an authorized service center as opposed to just sending it back to them. The only thing you have to watch out for is that they didn't enter anything on your service ticket number that used the word "abuse."

Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.