Virus protection requirments

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook Processor 2.26 GHZ intel core 2 duo 2 gb 1067 MHZ, and 2009 imac
I was working for the government with my mac, They required me to have a norton virus protection on it while i was using it. Now that I am retired, I uninstalled it. however, I get upwards of 30 events asking me to reinstall it and up date it. how do I get them to go away.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the program was

the uninstaller was with the program given by the DOD from the AKO websight.so yes that is how I uninstalled.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
????

what is appcleaner or appzapper? what is crossing posts?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Goofnoff2

Do not cross post! You've posted the same message in three different forums and twice in the same forum. And all in the wrong forum. Read the forum Guidelines. Click on the link in my signature.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah

Gotcha. So, how do I get rid of the alerts and events. when my system starts up?

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
error messages

The error message i get is a red ! symantec anti virus error: symantec anti virus auto-protect could not continue. pleas run live update or reinstall symantec anti virus and restart (code:10)

I have reinstalled and still get the message. I have deleted it and still get the message. I have re installed and uninstalled twice now I have this message for about 30 times. I have even tried to reformat this computer and reinstall snow leopard. it still happens how can I get rid of this. the appzapper does not work cuz there is not app to use.. the app cleaner does not work either cuz it is wanting an incon and there is no icon. I no longer have the software to install it again. what can I do.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
See this LINK. Also, get on the Symantec web site and access their knowledge base. Do a search for removal instructions - but make sure you specify for the Mac or OS X.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
wow that link was awsome thank you very much. The App zapper was not that good but the appcleaner was better I thinkg. But the last thing was great. thanks.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well I have tried what was suggested above. It did not work I still have the same error messages. How can I format this macbook and reload it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Pop in the Snow Lopard install disc, reboot and hold down 'C'. Select language and then go to Utilities and select Disk Utility. Erase and format Mac OS Extended (Journalled)> Back to the Installer and proceed. Update to OS X.5.5.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I hate to be the one to say it (no, I don't) but this just goes to prove that A/V software like Norton and Macafee are as bad as any virus. Just another reason I'm glad I own a Mac and don't need it. :)
Even on my Windows desktop machine I ONLY use MS Essentials. That plus common sense will go far.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.