• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

PowerMacG5 limits resolution output of Dell W3000 LCD HDTV??

J

jmcgee

Setup:
My group needs to MPEG -2 compress .mov files and export them using Final Cut Pro 4.5's Compressor to Quicktime to play in a Dell W3000 LCD HDTV.

Problem:
The Dell LCD HDTV, on a direct link to the G5 via DVI Cable, is currently displaying at VESA 1280x768. This is the highest resolution available in the list of resolutions in my "Apple Display Properties". However, the Dell LCD HDTV is capable of displaying 1920x1080i.
This is what we want.

Solution:
[MacG5]>>1394a>>[Convergent Design's HD-ConnectLE]>>HDTV Component(Y-Pb-Pr)>> [Dell LCD HDTV]

This hardware setup should resolve the issue, according to the technician at Convergent Design. I am wondering specifically, if when this setup is connected, the 1920x1080i resolution will become an option in the Apple Display Properties.
**Is the Dell HDTV just "sensing" its DVI Cable input and choosing the highest VESA resolution and not HDTV resolution? Will the conversion to Y-Pb-Pr input (maintaining HD quality with the HD-ConnectLE), cause the Dell Monitor to "sense" an HDTV connection and choose the highest HDTV resolution of 1920x1080i?***
Cause that... "would be great"

v/r
Jack R McGee
Department of Physics & Astronomy
LSU Astrophysics Theory Group
(225)5786851
:dive:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.