Apache MYSQL software

Reaction score
I have to do a Joomla website and I understand I need this software on my Mac. I'm on OS 10.5.2--is it already installed on my computer? or do I need to download it?

Reaction score
If you're unaccustomed to running web services, you might consider getting something like MAMP Pro. It's about $60, but it provides an Apache GUI to make the management of your local sites pretty easy.

Good luck

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Why pay for something that is easy to enable/manage and use for free? Besides there are TONS of tutorials that show how to do this on a Mac..

Regards

Reaction score
I know there are lots of tutorials -- and very good ones at that. I've read many of them before finding MAMP. But that process does take time, and not just finding the tutorials, but hacking the configuration files after you learn how to do it, and troubleshooting your error if your configuration doesn't work as intended. (Especially for somebody who isn't familiar with setting up and running servers.)

One thing I learned in recent years is that free does not mean "without cost." And if we equate dollars to hours, then MAMP Pro has paid for itself in spades -- at least it has in my case.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Yes that is true but MAMP is only good for testing and should thus not be used on a live web server. As per the MAMP site:
MAMP was created primarily as a PHP development environment for Macintosh computer and should therefore not be used as Live Webserver for the Internet. In this case, we recommend that you use Mac OS X server with the provided Apache or a Linux server.
Learning how to use Apache properly not only teaches you how to set up a web server but can also be much more secure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.