any mods to make macbook run cooler?

Reaction score
with my macbook the fan is on quite a bit, and the bottom gets really hot, is there any hardware mods that i could do to make it run cooler? kinda like with xbox 360, you can do the x-clamp fix and it runs cooler....i know theres apps to change like the speed and hw often the cooling fan turns on and off, but i wanna make it run cooler(i wanna try and make the fan not come on as often, or not stay on for so long)

Reaction score
You could add taller rubber feet to the bottom. Taller feet will let more air circulate underneath and help it stay cool.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm not really sure there are any mods. you can do to your MacBook to make it run cooler.

About all you can do is make sure it's in tip-top shape...and what I mean is that it is clean inside. If this is the same MacBook you mentioned in another thread with the "former" blurry iSight camera...you mentioned that you purchased it used. So not knowing it's previous use "history"...it could be pretty dirty inside (fuzz, dust. etc.)...so it may need a good cleaning.

But even with a good cleaning...many MacBooks run warm/hot & the fans may be "roaring" away...depending on what you're doing on it. Gaming & Youtube videos will really heat it up. Also realize that a cpu temp will hardly ever get lower than 50-55°C...65-70°C can be much more typical...and 80-85°C and more can be expected when gaming & watching videos.

My cpu temp at the moment is 76°C...and all I'm doing is posting on an internet forum (very little demand on the computer).

HTH,

- Nick

p.s. Your MacBook will also run cooler if you place it on a tabletop rather than on your lap (since your body heat will help make the computer run hotter).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i have opened 2 times and theres a tiny amount of dust inside but not much

Well try just propping it up. The temps will drop almost instantly and it will run cooler. If you want, I'm sure you could drill holes in the bottom panel and then put it on a cooler, but thats up to you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Drilling holes? A bit extreme...
Why not just get a laptop cooling stand??

OP
T
Reaction score
i dont know about drilling hole(s), i might just get a cooling pad...got any to recommend?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Zalman NC200.

I wasn't saying you drill holes, I was saying it's something if you're desperate. But a cooling pad isn't gonna do a whole lot either since it's a solid piece of metal. Yes, air blowing on it can cool it down, but the "feet" on the bottom of the MBP don't allow for much room for air to go up, then escape and let new cold air in.

Just prop it up and save yourself some money...

OP
T
Reaction score
ya im not that desperate to cool it down...so propping it up with no air flowing, itll still cool down?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
i dont know about drilling hole(s), i might just get a cooling pad...got any to recommend?
ThermalTake and Targus make good coolers. Only problem with them is they can get a bit expensive on some models. The Antec Notebook Cooler is also a good proven cooler for notebooks as large as 15".

Zalman NC200.

I wasn't saying you drill holes, I was saying it's something if you're desperate. But a cooling pad isn't gonna do a whole lot either since it's a solid piece of metal. Yes, air blowing on it can cool it down, but the "feet" on the bottom of the MBP don't allow for much room for air to go up, then escape and let new cold air in.

Just prop it up and save yourself some money...
First. So, basically, what you're saying is that just propping it up with no fan is better than having a cooler, which actually increases the opening air gap underneath, and forces cooler air onto the computer??

Secondly. This is a PUBLIC forum. People will disagree with you. If you can't handle that, don't bother commenting!

I simply replied to your statement given the fact that drilling holes on a brittle plastic body of a macbook is probably not the best idea! But you respond with,
That says a lot. Children know acronyms, swearing is not allowed!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MPB
It might not be the most elegant solution, but I put a soda bottle cap under each corner of my 15" MBP for added airflow when I'm doing temp intensive things. Using the Temperature Motoring software from

Temperature Monitor: Description

I'll notice a several degree drop with the bottle caps vs being flush on my wood desk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I use these Cool Feet and under $10 worth it

Reaction score
How about using a cooling stand or your laptop, well this laptop accessory would help you to run your laptop cooler.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.