isight blurry

Reaction score
the isight on my macbook is blurry, or "fuzzy", when i go on skype or facetime or anything using the isight its blurry or fuzzy, i think it might be because they'res dirt between the lense and the screen bezel, is there anyway to clean that? i know how to remove the screen bezel

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
the isight on my macbook is blurry, or "fuzzy", when i go on skype or facetime or anything using the isight its blurry or fuzzy, i think it might be because they'res dirt between the lense and the screen bezel, is there anyway to clean that? i know how to remove the screen bezel

Just a thought. Have you cleaned the iSight previously? If you used the wrong cleaner (I would have only suggested water)...the lens/bezel/lens cover covering the lens may be cloudy because the cleaner reacted with the plastic.

A long shot possibility...but something that could definitely happen if the wrong cleaner is/was used.

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
no i havent cleaned it before, ive only had this macbook for about a month, a little longer, would rubbing alcohol damage the lense and/or the part on the screen bezel?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
no i havent cleaned it before, ive only had this macbook for about a month, a little longer, would rubbing alcohol damage the lense and/or the part on the screen bezel?

I would not use rubbing alcohol. When you say you only have had this MacBook for a month...did you buy it brand new...or is this a used MacBook you purchased? If used...the iSight camera could have been damaged before you bought it.

If this MacBook is new...then take it to your nearest Apple Store...and have them inspect it for free since you have Applecare coverage.

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
ok so would water be the best thing to use? and its used, i traded my compaq laptop for it....the isight might be damaged because i know the previous owner had a new screen put on so they mightve damaged the lense when they did that...they also did some other stuff while working on it too :/

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok so would water be the best thing to use? and its used, i traded my compaq laptop for it....the isight might be damaged because i know the previous owner had a new screen put on so they mightve damaged the lense when they did that...they also did some other stuff while working on it too :/

I would always use water first when cleaning anything on a computer. I would start with the least aggressive "fluid"...and move to more aggressive "fluids" when necessary. If you get too aggressive right away...you can cause irreversible damage.

This is the order I would use:

- cool or warm water
- cool or warm water with a little soap
- special cleaning cloths sold at "Office Supply" stores (that have "computer friendly" fluids in them).
- rubbing alcohol can be used on "SOME" surfaces if you have really stubborn dirt. But I wouldn't use it on a camera lens or a computers LCD display...and I probably would use it on computer keys, just in case the numbers/letters might be removed accidentally. AND...after wiping a surface with alcohol...I would immediately follow it up with a "water wiping"...since the water will dilute & remove any residual alcohol.

Remember...various solvents (like alcohol, acetone found in nail polish remover, etc.) can react with the plastics very commonly used in computers...so I like to stay away from solvents whenever possible.

Also remember to NEVER spray liquid onto a computer to be cleaned...since liquid could get into areas you don't want liquid (like electrical parts). Always wet the cloth or paper towel first, ring it out if too wet...then clean.

These methods may be a bit conservative in some folks eyes...but it does pretty much eliminate any possibility of damage to a computer when cleaning.

HTH,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alright ill try cleaning it sometime today, thanks for the help

Don't forget. I mentioned in an earlier post that the previous owner may have used the wrong cleaning fluid when cleaning the computer...and if this "fluid" got on the camera lens...it may have reacted with the plastic covering the lens causing the blurriness.

I hope that this hasn't happened...just wanted to mention it.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
i just took cold/warm water on a quetip and it seems to of worked, my camera isnt really blurry anymore, thanks for the help

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i just took cold/warm water on a quetip and it seems to of worked, my camera isnt really blurry anymore, thanks for the help

Wow...that was fast!!! Awesome you had a positive result!:) Maybe the blurriness was caused by someone's dirty fingers after eating a burrito!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.