• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Next intel chip series will have DRM sadly

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sounds like a great opportunity for AMD to excel. :)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Sounds like a great opportunity for AMD to excel. :)

I have been secretly been supporting them for years actually. >_>" Especially on my gaming rigs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Nice, wonder what Apple will do once they need new processors for their computer line.
Maybe an new Apple chip…

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
I'm going to be keeping my eye on this.

I don't do anything illegal with my computers, anymore. Not in years, really.

However, I don't like software and hardware companies bullying their protection schemes onto me, like this. If it isn't to protect the consumer, I don't want it.

Remember the big stink caused by the built-in DRM in CDs? This is destined to failure. We'll see what happens beyond that, I guess. I know I won't be buying anything with this on it, though.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree. And personally do not think it will be received very well by the knowledgeable consumer. I realize that copyright infringement is wide spread in some areas of the world (China, Thailand, Singapore, for example) but why burden the overwhelming majority of computer users who are honest?

If it comes to pass, Intel is going to receive bad press from the big Mag publishers and blog writers. The bad news is that Intel has a monopoly on the chip\cpu business and may not care.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I agree. And personally do not think it will be received very well by the knowledgeable consumer. I realize that copyright infringement is wide spread in some areas of the world (China, Thailand, Singapore, for example) but why burden the overwhelming majority of computer users who are honest?

If it comes to pass, Intel is going to receive bad press from the big Mag publishers and blog writers. The bad news is that Intel has a monopoly on the chip\cpu business and may not care.

While I do agree with what you said. Someone could argue that it wouldn't effect the majority of computer users if they truly are honest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
...but why burden the overwhelming majority of computer users who are honest?
That's the thing companies don't understand about DRM. They are only frustrating the honest paying owners because many DRM can eventually be hacked. It only takes one person to figure it out and then everyone will know how to get around it so DRM doesn't really stop pirates it only annoys paying users.

For example the DRM Apple used to have on their iTunes music was very annoying. I wasn't able to play my music on all my portable devices especially if they were non-Apple products. The DRM wasn't preventing much illegal activities because the pirates knew how to get around the DRM protection. During that time I bought mostly music CDs because of the DRM but now that Apple has been allowed to drop DRM I buy a lot more music from iTunes.

If this DRM on Intel's Sandy Bridge turns out to be true then hopefully Apple will switch to AMD processors.

CrimsonRequiem said:
Someone could argue that it wouldn't effect the majority of computer users if they truly are honest.
I don't think it's as clear-cut as that. My iTunes DRM is an example of this. The thing about DRM protection is that companies are limiting what you do based on how they feel it should be and not necessarily if it's illegal to do so. For example when iTunes had DRM playing my purchased music on my non-Apple device is not considered illegal but the DRM made it hard to do so. I've noticed that many times DRM only frustrates paying customers because pirates usually find a way around the issue anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.

I hope this is true. I love the intel Apple computes that I currently possess, but I have no loyalty to brands that try to be my big brother by essentially telling me what I may or may not do with items that I purchase.

That's the thing companies don't understand about DRM. They are only frustrating the honest paying owners because many DRM can eventually be hacked. It only takes one person to figure it out and then everyone will know how to get around it so DRM doesn't really stop pirates it only annoys paying users.

For example the DRM Apple used to have on their iTunes music was very annoying. I wasn't able to play my music on all my portable devices especially if they were non-Apple products. The DRM wasn't preventing much illegal activities because the pirates knew how to get around the DRM protection. During that time I bought mostly music CDs because of the DRM but now that Apple has been allowed to drop DRM I buy a lot more music from iTunes.

If this DRM on Intel's Sandy Bridge turns out to be true then hopefully Apple will switch to AMD processors.

I don't think it's as clear-cut as that. My iTunes DRM is an example of this. The thing about DRM protection is that companies are limiting what you do based on how they feel it should be and not necessarily if it's illegal to do so. For example when iTunes had DRM playing my purchased music on my non-Apple device is not considered illegal but the DRM made it hard to do so. I've noticed that many times DRM only frustrates paying customers because pirates usually find a way around the issue anyway.

I agree with everything you say. Especially the part with the iTunes DRM. I flat out refused to purchase any music from iTunes until recently. As for switching to AMD....YES. I've always enjoyed their products, and would definitely support this venture if Apple decided to get them aboard. Most of my old gaming rigs had AMD processors on them as I found them easier to work with and update.

Reaction score
If this is true I will be avoiding it at all costs, and it has nothing to do with concern for the the content of my privacy as it does the principles behind it. This strongly reminds me of the 3rd party auto-gps function on google that was not able to be turned off (iirc) darn api.

DRM failed with CD's, and attempts to perpetuate it should (I'm crossing my fingers) fail too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" AL 2.93 GHz Intel C2D - SSD, HDD external, OS X 10.7, 4 GB Ram
Power to the people, down with the MPAA who are probably paying Intel a large sum of money to do this. Just an opinion nothing more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Sorry to sound a bit noobish, but what exactly will DRM stop people from, "copying," aside from the, "streaming videos," noted in the article? Is it only that for now? If that's all what the fuss is about, I could care less, because I don't copy, "streaming," videos. However, youtube videos are good. If this is a start to apply even more copy right protection and authorization requirements to more things to come, then I would have to say, "kiss my rear to intel," and, "HELLO AMD!"

Reaction score
It's not about copy protection -- but even if it was, you should be able to copy that which you buy in order to consume it on your medium of choice -- but rather about excluding people who don't have the magic chip.

It's a little like saying, "Okay, you can eat, but only if you sit at my table. And if you won't, well you can just find another source of food." And that would be okay IF other sources will continue to be available, which is unlikely to remain the case going forward for two reasons.

Firstly, this whole marriage with Intel is of the MPAA's making, so they're going to do their level best to ensure that all online video content utilizes this filter. And secondly, online video content is the future of video consumption. Yeah, having DVDs or Blu-ray discs are great, but they're bulky, inconvenient, degrade over time, expensive (relatively) to manufacture and distribute, and more. Streaming content is the future, and this is Intel facilitating control of that future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
It's not about copy protection -- but even if it was, you should be able to copy that which you buy in order to consume it on your medium of choice -- but rather about excluding people who don't have the magic chip.

Almost sounds like a sales ploy. Maybe Intel thinks there is more money in sucking up to the RIAA and MPAA than there is in giving the consumers choice. This is something many will not rush into but there is still a buck to made somewhere.

Reaction score
^ I'm sure you're right that there's money changing hands. I just hope there are enough informed buyers out there to make Intel's decision painful enough to reverse course.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
If Apple look at going the AMD way then AMD will have to seriously look at there processors and extending there Battery life . . .

AMD Vs Intel ~ Battery Life . . .

I read a article a cpl weeks ago (which im trying to find) where Intel says they are making real inroads to there processors and they are hoping to be or will be the 1st company to get a Full Days computing out of the Battery . .. Not 7 hrs but a full 10 to 12 hours battery life....

In the end i think this would be more important to me ATM

AMD just are not cutting it atm for me to want one in my MB/MBP/MBA

Just saying. Its still something to consider

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.
^^^I agree with your statement, but I don't think it will be an issue as I'm certain that Apple would address this from the get-go. For the past 2 years they've been promoting notebooks that have longer battery life than before so I doubt they would change this attitude when going to AMD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
How is this going to work? How are they going to be able to tell the difference between a DVD you own and copy vs a DVD that's downloaded from the Internet? I rip my DVDs and blu-ray disc to my server so that I don't have cabinets of discs sitting in my living room and I have instant access to all my movies.

Would intel's drm screw with this setup if I were using one of their new chips?

Fortunately I don't need to upgrade for another year or two, if I'm lucky.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram
How is this going to work? How are they going to be able to tell the difference between a DVD you own and copy vs a DVD that's downloaded from the Internet? I rip my DVDs and blu-ray disc to my server so that I don't have cabinets of discs sitting in my living room and I have instant access to all my movies.

Would intel's drm screw with this setup if I were using one of their new chips?

Fortunately I don't need to upgrade for another year or two, if I'm lucky.

and here lies the flaws of this DRM...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.