Unable To Remove Preinstalled Applications

Reaction score
I am trying to remove several applications I don't use that came preinstalled on my MacBook. I have tried the simple uninstall method of drag & drop to the Trash without success. Any suggestions? I'm a PC who just got his first Mac, but this looks like it could be a permissions issue.

Programs I am trying to remove: GarageBand, Chess, iWeb.
OS X Version 10.6.5

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hi and welcome to M-F huntermaclean . . . .

Hmm interesting as i just trashed everything you just tried to.... Mind you they asked for my Admin password to do so.
First i would suggest Repairing Permissions via disk utility and then log out then back in and give it another go...
Just making sure as well that the account your trying to trash them from is a Admin account with all privileges ??
Give it a go and post back if it doesnt work and we will try come up with another solution for you :)

Cheers

OP
H
Reaction score
Alright, this is silly, but it is coming from a brand new Mac user. What happened was, I was trying to drag the apps from the dark/transparent screen that opens from the Dock, into the Trash. Once I opened the Apps folder in Finder, I was able to drag and drop anything to the Trash after confirming with my password. Silly me! (unless I should be able to delete using the method before?)

Thanks for the prompt reply, I'm sure I will be back.

Hunter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
No, the other way won't work. Nor can you do it from the Sidebar if the app's icon is there. You have to go to the real application in the Applications Folder, assuming that's where it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As toMAcsh advises, you need to go into the Applications folder found under 'Go' in the Menu Bar, double click to open and uninstall there./ If an application has an uninstaller use that, if not download AppTrap which will remove all files. It is freeware:-

http://onnati.net/apptrap/

The Dock only contains aliases and you cannot remove an application, merely this alias goes up in a puff of smoke when dragged out of the Dock.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.