Sharing iTunes Between Users

Reaction score
My set up is that the iTunes Media folder is located in Users:Shared and there is two separate library's using this folder.

Each library is in a serrate user account and each person owns an iPhone. When first set up over a year ago, each library would have the Mobile Applications folder located in User1:Music:iTunes and User2:Music:iTunes, however now the iTunes Media folder is being used instead. I would like to have the two separate again if possible to avoid mixing the applications of each user.

Could someone advise on the iTunes preferences settings for such a setup as above? Even if you can't help with my specific problem please post if you have a similar set up as me, with info on your settings.

Any help much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
If i understand this right, i just set up another iTunes account.
I bought my son a Ipod Touch for christmas and yea i dont want his Apps on mine and he doesnt want mine.
All the Apps i have downloaded are in his account and vice versa. His account i have his apps checked only and it syncs with his iPod no worries.
Just make sure the new account you set up that both phones are authorised for that account and same with the original account . . . . .
If its not what you are looking for someone wil have the answer but that is how i read your post

Cheers

OP
J
Reaction score
If i understand this right, i just set up another iTunes account.
I bought my son a Ipod Touch for christmas and yea i dont want his Apps on mine and he doesnt want mine.
All the Apps i have downloaded are in his account and vice versa. His account i have his apps checked only and it syncs with his iPod no worries.
Just make sure the new account you set up that both phones are authorised for that account and same with the original account . . . . .
If its not what you are looking for someone wil have the answer but that is how i read your post

Cheers

Thanks for replying.

It's not exactly what I meant. Both users already have an iTunes account to buy their own apps. It's just that before these apps would be located in the particular users iTunes folder (along with the iTunes library file) and now they are located in the shared location where the iTunes Media folder is located. I am just trying to work out why there has been a change in behaviour.

What is your setup? One iTunes library for you and another for your son sharing the same media folder? And I assume that all your apps are in the same folder as your sons?

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
No i have the same media folder and both accounts are connected to it.There is no shared folder in my music>iTunes>iTunes Media>
If i need to sync his device i just log into his account and i can sync his iPod . . . . .

Hoping someone else can come in with a suggestion....as im a bit miffed as to what has happened .. Sorry bout that

OP
J
Reaction score
No i have the same media folder and both accounts are connected to it.There is no shared folder in my music>iTunes>iTunes Media>
If i need to sync his device i just log into his account and i can sync his iPod . . . . .

Hoping someone else can come in with a suggestion....as im a bit miffed as to what has happened .. Sorry bout that

When you say log into his account are you meaning his iTunes account and do you have just one iTunes Library for both iPods. Sorry for all the questions!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea jonny. I just sign into his iTunes account and it brings up the one library.... As i posted above i have all his Apps checked when i sign into his account and then when i sign out then back into mine (the primary one (meaning my one that is signed in all the time)) his Apps arnt checked and mine are. I can buy Apps through his account and they are available on my account and vice versa . . . .
I can buy Apps on his iPod and then they will sync to the Mac and go into the 1 iTunes media folder . . .
Honestly the only reason i got him a account was it was needed to FaceTime with him. And to set up FT each individual device needed a separate account. If i had my way it wouldnt be that way but it is ;P

Is this making any sense here ?? lol

EDIT : i can even sync his iPod through my Account if need be but with his separate account i just need to sign in and everything is already checked/unchecked . . . .

OP
J
Reaction score
Yea jonny. I just sign into his iTunes account and it brings up the one library.... As i posted above i have all his Apps checked when i sign into his account and then when i sign out then back into mine (the primary one (meaning my one that is signed in all the time)) his Apps arnt checked and mine are. I can buy Apps through his account and they are available on my account and vice versa . . . .
I can buy Apps on his iPod and then they will sync to the Mac and go into the 1 iTunes media folder . . .
Honestly the only reason i got him a account was it was needed to FaceTime with him. And to set up FT each individual device needed a separate account. If i had my way it wouldnt be that way but it is ;P

Is this making any sense here ?? lol

EDIT : i can even sync his iPod through my Account if need be but with his separate account i just need to sign in and everything is already checked/unchecked . . . .

Ok I think that makes sense. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Hopefully someone with a similar setup to me will be able to shed some light on this!

Reaction score
My set up is that the iTunes Media folder is located in Users:Shared and there is two separate library's using this folder.

Each library is in a serrate user account and each person owns an iPhone. When first set up over a year ago, each library would have the Mobile Applications folder located in User1:Music:iTunes and User2:Music:iTunes, however now the iTunes Media folder is being used instead. I would like to have the two separate again if possible to avoid mixing the applications of each user.

Could someone advise on the iTunes preferences settings for such a setup as above? Even if you can't help with my specific problem please post if you have a similar set up as me, with info on your settings.

Any help much appreciated.

I have exactly the same set up and cant seem to find a way round it. Because of it both me and the other user are having problems with updated apps not showing as updated! are you also having this problem?

Any luck in finding a solution?

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.