iTunes as a 64bit Application ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Had Activity Monitor open just now, and gutted that Safari was taking up 896mb of memory (why) ?? lol and so i went down my list and quit Dashboard client (is there a way to permanently disable this) ?? and i noticed iTunes didnt have the 64bit next to it... Going further down the list i noticed that all other  Apps where working there guts out in 64Bit . . . . Why isnt iTunes a 64bit App as yet ?? or is it and then how do i start up iTunes as a 64bit App ???

Any ideas friends ?? And yea any idea on how to permanently disable Dashboard client, as i never use dashboard and dont really like it at all, so want to disable it . . . OR can i trash the whole Dashboard thing without stuffing up my machine... I mean is there anything in Dashboard if i trash it that has a coercetion with any other App or something in the system ??

Cheers

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
My iTunes isn't 64 bit either.

Apple - Mac OS X - New technologies in Snow Leopard
Down at the bottom, check out - "All system applications except DVD Player, Front Row, Grapher, and iTunes have been rewritten in 64-bit."

Now what is there thinking on this then ?? Considering they bought in the 64bit for us and now there is those Apps are not in that mode.....

That doesnt really tell me much i didnt know apart from the Apps that are not written in 64bit . . . . .So looking for more answers ;)

Dashboard client anyone ??

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea i know i understand all that and i did google it and all i got was what you got. Im trying to understand why it isnt 64bit yet and wanting more info as to when they look like making it 64bit and why they havnt yet.

Not sure what else you're looking for...

Its not a End of the world question if i cant find a answer, but im always adding to my knowledge of Apple and Macs in general and i would like to find out why and when . . . . Because of the GOOGLE i have done and as you, bough up sweet FA i would like others opinion as to why they havnt implemented it as yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Im trying to understand why it isnt 64bit yet and wanting more info as to when they look like making it 64bit and why they havnt yet.
i would like others opinion as to why they havnt implemented it as yet.

Well people can speculate all they want. Only people who work for Apple specifically on iTunes would be able to answer that.

I could say they don't want it to run 64 bit simply because they don't want to, or because they don't see a big reason to run 64 bit as their consumer base doesn't even notice it's not 64 bit.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes yes yes ....... There are a cpl member in here that know the 64bit system like the back of there habd and i just thought they might have a inkling as to why it isnt in 64bit . . Coding?? or some other reason. One of these members even wrote a Sticky on it all (which im having trouble finding) and new his sh1t . . . He would have had some idea as to why it isnt in 64 bit .....
Im not asking anyone to speculate, im just trying to find out more info and as i said a member wrote a big sticky on it . . . .
Jusy looking for info or anything . . . .

Why is that so hard to understand .. ???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What's the big deal with it running in 64 bit?
Does it do what you need it to do now?

LOL this is a joke .... *shakes head*

Yes it does work flawlessly and i have no problem with it.
Whats is your problem with me wanting to expand my knowledge and try and find out more information on a subject im not to sure on ??

Because you dont have a answer doesnt mean there isnt one . . . .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL this is a joke .... *shakes head*

Yes it does work flawlessly and i have no problem with it.
Whats is your problem with me wanting to expand my knowledge and try and find out more information on a subject im not to sure on ??

Because you dont have a answer doesnt mean there isnt one . . . .

Ok so if it works who cares if it is 64 bit or not? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

It's fine to try to expand your knowledge, but if you look on Google (as posted twice in this thread) there is no answer. Who cares? Why must you know? Call Apple if you want the answer, don't post on forums with no Apple reps...

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think this still works,
How to completely disable Dashboard

As for iTunes, yes it would have to be completely rewritten in cocoa. Right now it is written in Carbon which makes 64 bit virtually impossible.
64 bit - Why isn't iTunes 9 64-bit yet? - Super User
Why isn't iTunes 64 bit? - The macosxhints Forums

Interestingly enough Windows users do have a 64 bit iTunes, AFAIK

OHHHH Thank you McYukon . . . Exactly what i was looking for. I did actually just find the 1st link you posted... literally 1 minute ago ;)

And the other reason i was curious was hat Windows does have it in 64 bit . . . Very helpfull indeed :)

Double kudos to you too as i couldnt find anything on the Dashboard query, but once again you came through

Cheers

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's fine to try to expand your knowledge, but if you look on Google (as posted twice in this thread) there is no answer.

Wrong look at post #8 from McYukon

Who cares?

I do

So get off your high horse and let me ask my bloody question

Call Apple if you want the answer, don't post on forums with no Apple reps...

Umm and wouldnt this go for any thread in this forum ?? I do believe this is a Mac Forum ... I could be wrong though

That has to be the most ridiculous statement i have heard in a Mac Forum

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And the other reason i was curious was hat Windows does have it in 64 bit . . . Very helpfull indeed :)

Another search on Goole comes up with this:
64Bit iTunes!!!!!....but not on a mac. - MacRumors Forums

If you read the posts, look @ post #2.
"If you think that the 64 version on Windows has true 64 bit support etc you are wrong. The 64 bit version only makes iTunes run on 64 bit systems without errors.. It doesn't get true 64 bit support, it is just as bloated as 32 bit version."

Hope your brain just grew 2cm.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wrong look at post #8 from McYukon

I do

So get off your high horse and let me ask my bloody question

" really like Gruber's speculation" quoted from the reply

SPECULATION

ROFL
NOT FROM APPLE
JUST SAYING
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH NUFF SAID.

You get off your high horse please.
KTHANKS.

OH WAIT HERE'S MORE:
2) iTunes probably won't benefit much from it.

Point 2 is especially important. What would apple achieve by releasing a 64 bit version of iTunes? Currently, when I run iTunes, it consumes about 70 MB of RAM. It would take a lot for iTunes to require more than 4GB of RAM, that 64 bit addressing would give it. And even if it could, I really wouldn't want iTunes consuming 4GB of RAM. Then you could increase the speed of MP3 (AAC) encoding if it was 64 bit. But this stuff is pretty quick already. I think in most cases, it's limited by the speed of the CD drive you are ripping from, and not the speed of your processor. Movies and stuff play back just fine without skipping.

So, all I have to say is that it would be a lot of work, with no benefit, and nobody would even notice. We'd be much better off asking for 64-bit apps that matter like MS Office (outlook especially), and Visual Studio.

SPECULATION

The thing is, Apple is spread thin on a lot of projects: Mac OS, iPhone OS, MobileMe, iWork, iLife + all the hardware projects. For the moment, a 32-bit iTunes just works (barely, unfortunately, for me). You'll probably see a major redesign of iTunes with the next Mac OS iteration, when the OS will really be completely 64-bit.

PROBABLY
MEANS NOT GUARANTEED

SPECULATE SOME MORE!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh and it's talking about iTunes 9.
We're on 10 now, buddy.

Where is the 64-bit compatibility?
Just asking.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
whats your problem Mate ?? I wanted to know something and all you could do was diss me for wanting to know... Grab a life why dont ya ... And get the ohhaha over yourself

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
F@#K whats your problem Mate ?? I wanted to know something and all you could do was diss me for wanting to know... Grab a life why dont ya ... And get the F@!K over yourself

Where is my 64-bit compatible iTunes 10.
Those were posted about iTunes 9, so obviously people who speculated thought it would come in the next version of iTiunes. Obviously not

Why?
BECAUSE IT'S SPECULATION
ONLY APPLE KNOWS THE ANSWER

I have a life, thank you very much.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A little more research on my part i found a little statement that helps me understand a little bit more about the iTunes 64 bit fiasco

The only things in iTunes that would benefit from 64bit would be the audio encoding.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Once iTunes supports FLAC I'll be happy.

64-bit or not.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.