Audio Editing With Mac, What App?

Reaction score
Hi

I'm looking to manipulate some backing tracks that i sing to, basically to level and EQ nothing else. When with windows i used Nero, now being on a Mac I'm not sure what app to use? any suggestions.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
audacity or garageband can do that, and they are both free.

C

chas_m

Audacity should be fine for that, I happen to like Amadeus Pro a lot better but it costs a reasonable amount ($40). There's also Fission from the fine folks at Rogue Amoeba ($32) that saves losslessly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
audacity or garageband can do that, and they are both free.

I don't think that Garage Band is free. It's part of the iLife suite. I did get it for free when I bought my 08' MacBook Pro, but I can't remember why there's a difference.

Not a big fan of Audacity. It feels clunky and slow to perform. But in a pinch it can be alright, especially given its price (free).

Doug

C

chas_m

Garageband is "free" because it's included on every Mac made. It may not be the latest version, depending on when one gets one's Mac or if one upgrades, but everyone gets at least some version of Garageband.

Agree with you 100% on Audacity.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
well, i was just assuming that the person had it. Audacity doesn't like my computer but i remember it being good on my old PC. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.