Bootcamping my Imac help :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 Inch, 2.93Ghz Quad-Core i7 iMac & 13' MBP
Hey alllll!

So i have a few dilemmas! (im running the i7 imac so gots 1TB to play around with)

1- What should i go for with regards to 32 or 64 bit?

2- How much should i partition? ive heard 100gb ive heard 200gb etc..

3- This might be the stupidest thing ive ever said, but ive got a WD 500gb external is it better to use that for the windows os? or is that just being too complicated and i should stick to the normal HDD.

Thats all i can think of for now :p sorry for the questions guys but im just looking to be certain about those things before i go and dive into bootcamping!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

1. If possible, use the 64 bit installation of Windows 7 as that will allow you to utilize all your memory. Windows 7 32 bit is limited to around 3.5 Gb of memory.

2. Since you have 1 TB of space, create a 200 GB partition for Windows 7 as that will allow you to install those large graphic games you might want to play. :)

3. Nope. Windows can not be installed on an external hard drive. That's a MS restriction due to activation and licensing.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 Inch, 2.93Ghz Quad-Core i7 iMac & 13' MBP
Thanks so much thats cleared up a lot. So ill look into buying 64bit windows and 200gb partition,

And finally this is purely for gaming so am i looking to format it into NTFS?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You have no choice. Windows 7 will not install on any other file system. You must format the drive to NTFS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.