Macbook Pro Startup Keyboard Problem?

Reaction score
I assume that this is the right place to post it? Sorry if im wrong.

Anyway, I just installed Windows 7 Ultimate on my macbook, and now, for some reason, the keyboard doesn't respond at startup, none of the buttons work, and the keyboard doesn't light up until the OSX boots...
So basically, i cant boot up my recently installed windows 7.

So, how do I fix it? :)

Thanks in advance!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your keyboard is not working where? Is it working OK when you boot to OS X? And not working when booting to Windows 7? Your post is a bit confusing....

If the keyboard is not working when booting to Windows 7, it may be because the drivers have not been installed. Boot to Windows 7 and then insert your Leopard or Snow Leopard DVD and the driver installation should start automatically.

If the keyboard is not working when you boot to OS X, that is another problem, most likely not related to installing Windows 7.

OP
W
Reaction score
No, when the macbook starts up, the keyboard is unresponsive, so I cant switch between windows and mac, and it only starts responding once the Mac os starts up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
Are you holding Option down at the right time to select your boot drive?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK. Thanks for clarifying. I had thought the entire keyboard was dead - which obviously is a different problem.

When you first boot the MacBook, I'm assuming you've tried to hold down the "OPTION" key to bring up the boot choice? I ask because it's unusual for the keyboard to be dead since as soon as the machine does its POST (you can hear the chime) the keyboard is alive. And I'm assuming you're referring to the internal keyboard on the MacBook not an external USB or wireless model.

Did this problem occur right after you installed Windows 7? And, are you using a boot menu or loader? (rEFIt, etc.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.