.wmv files

Reaction score
I get my email at the office from Windows Outlook to my MAC via "remote web workplace". I cannot open .wmv files which are usually short video clips. I have downloaded "Flip4Mac" and I upgraded to "Pro". I have also downloaded VLC. Still they will not open. I get a screen that turns dark and has an icon that shows "loading" with an arrow around the number 30. It then acts like it will open and the box pops up that has the video name on it and it says "loading movie". It then gives me "Operation couldn't be completed, OS Status error 128" it has a Q (quicktime) with a yellow triangle sign with an exclamation point in the middle. I also have Perian downloaded. I must be the 2% that has trouble.

Anyone have an idea what I need to do to get this puppy to work?

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, make sure you have the latest version of Flip4Mac installed. The latest is version 2.3.6.5. Then go into System Preferences, Other, and find the Flip4Mac icon. Click on it and go through the setup. Most of it is self explanatory but if the correct boxes are not checked off, the WMV files and AVI files will not open and play.

Also, Flip4Mac will launch QuickTime 10 automatically.

OP
P
Reaction score
OK. I have figured out a way to open .wmv files. I hit the control key,hold it down and right click on the file link. I have to download the file, wait for it to complete then double click on it in the download box and it will open in the corner. I maximize it and start watching. It seems like too many steps, but it works for any attachment that won't open by a simple double click.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.