• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple Introduces Support Profile

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini
It appears that the only thing missing is the ability to delete from your profile if you no longer have the product.

DavidH

OP
C
Reaction score
It appears that the only thing missing is the ability to delete from your profile if you no longer have the product.

DavidH

Have you tried giving a product a nickname? There's an X in a black circle when you do that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini
Thank You
It worked like a charm.
It asks if you want to unregister the product and bang your done.

DavidH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
I've got a iPod Touch 2nd Gen and 2 older iPod classics that are not showing up on either of my 2 Apple IDs even though I think that's how it was registered and up until I got Mobile Me was the only Apple ID I had. It would be nice if they would tell you what Apple ID they were registered under, but perhaps blocked the link so you had to manually sign in to unlink them from that ID.

I made the mistake just now of registering my iMac under a different account than my iPhone & iPad. I was able to go unregister it and transfer it to my other account...Neat...Now if they just made it so that you could merge all your outstanding Apple IDs into one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Thank You
It worked like a charm.
It asks if you want to unregister the product and bang your done.

DavidH

You can also unregister it by clicking on the product. There's an unregister button on the detail screen.

OP
C
Reaction score
I've got a iPod Touch 2nd Gen and 2 older iPod classics that are not showing up on either of my 2 Apple IDs even though I think that's how it was registered and up until I got Mobile Me was the only Apple ID I had. It would be nice if they would tell you what Apple ID they were registered under, but perhaps blocked the link so you had to manually sign in to unlink them from that ID.

I made the mistake just now of registering my iMac under a different account than my iPhone & iPad. I was able to go unregister it and transfer it to my other account...Neat...Now if they just made it so that you could merge all your outstanding Apple IDs into one.

I don't think merging is necessarily the smartest idea. An Apple ID is meant to be an individual ID.

Secondly, why do you have two ID's? You should only need one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't think merging is necessarily the smartest idea. An Apple ID is meant to be an individual ID.

Secondly, why do you have two ID's? You should only need one.

I have 2 because Mobile Me messed up and Apple support made me create the second one. For some reason, at that time, Mobile Me would not accept my primary Apple account. Trust me, I didn't want to but I had no choice. It was 3 in the morning, I had been on the phone with them for 5 hours with 4 different advisors and they had sent my reset key against my wishes to some lady who I didn't even know. I had to get my Mobile Me up and running PRONTO

FWIW one of the customer support supervisors told me he had FIVE and he wished that he could merge his 5.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I have 2 because Mobile Me messed up and Apple support made me create the second one. For some reason, at that time, Mobile Me would not accept my primary Apple account. Trust me, I didn't want to but I had no choice. It was 3 in the morning, I had been on the phone with them for 5 hours with 4 different advisors and they had sent my reset key against my wishes to some lady who I didn't even know. I had to get my Mobile Me up and running PRONTO

FWIW one of the customer support supervisors told me he had FIVE and he wished that he could merge his 5.

I actually have the same problem. They made me register for a new account even though I already had one...that had lots of use with apple purchases. It gets kind of confusing sometimes. I wish I could just have 1 account. Keeping track of which is which is a BIG PAIN!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I tried to register my imac there and it worked.
I tried to register my Magic Mouse there. And it did not work. I actually purchased the MM separately and put in the MM's serial number but no go sadly. Anyone know why this would happen?
And I just tried my Apple Alu keyboard's serial and that too is not working there.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Won't let me add my 4th gen Nano to it either.

And if they think I'm gonna go digging through receipts from 2 years ago to prove what day it was I bought what is now an out of warranty item just to have all my Apple stuff listed on that page, someone needs to re-think that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Won't let me add my 4th gen Nano to it either.

And if they think I'm gonna go digging through receipts from 2 years ago to prove what day it was I bought what is now an out of warranty item just to have all my Apple stuff listed on that page, someone needs to re-think that.

It wouldn't let me register an Airport Express either.
Luckily I keep images of all my receipts in Yojimbo and found it easily.
I then had to go thru an Apple process where I submitted a image of my receipt, which they reviewed and then sent me an email 2 days later advising me that they had changed my "receipt date" in their system and I could now register it.

Once I received the email it let me register it.

DavidH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
It wouldn't let me register an Airport Express either.
Luckily I keep images of all my receipts in Yojimbo and found it easily.
I then had to go thru an Apple process where I submitted a image of my receipt, which they reviewed and then sent me an email 2 days later advising me that they had changed my "receipt date" in their system and I could now register it.

Once I received the email it let me register it.

DavidH

Just curious, but what does the purchase date have to due with you not being able to register something? Why do you need to provide a copy of your receipt?

What I do know is that you can only have one device registered to one account at a time. I just registered my G5 and G4, both worked when registering, and both were bought used with no original receipt, so I don't think warranty has anything to due with it.

One cool thing about the Support Profile is that it shows all the previous devices registered to your name after returning them...I'm now on my 5th iphone4....which got me thinking, since one device can only be registered to one account at a time, does having all my last devices still on my account mean that someone can't register it on their account(those devices that I have sold, not exchanged at Apple)?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Because when you add a device, the next screen you have to put in the purchase date. Date doesn't match what Apple has on record, it will not allow you to register it without going through the hassle of sending them a copy of the receipt.

I purchased it at Walmart because I had a giftcard for there.

Tried adding my Time Capsule also. I've had it for 3 1/2 years and bought it at the Apple Store. Can't be added unless I come up with the date that matches theirs. That one I could probably find if I wanted to search through my email for the receipt - that's not a gonna happen just to add it to their list.

Oh, and just to add, the TC is one of those ones that were suppose to die after 18 months.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Receipt Organization

{QUOTE}
That one I could probably find if I wanted to search through my email for the receipt - that's not a gonna happen just to add it to their list.

Bobtomay:
As a side note have you tried some of the programs that let you manage bits and pieces of information in including scanned images like receipts e.g. Yojimbo, Evernote and Notes?
It sure makes keeping them organized a breeze.

Maybe it is just me cause I am an "organizational freak".

DavidH

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have never really cared about having that sort of stuff organized (unless I could write it off). Up until the last 4 years or so, I've never owned much in the way of electronics beyond it's warranty period when it was time to upgrade.

And, I'm too old a dog to get into it now. ;D

Now, if you're talking the manual, install disks, install codes... that stuff I can find.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Because when you add a device, the next screen you have to put in the purchase date. Date doesn't match what Apple has on record, it will not allow you to register it without going through the hassle of sending them a copy of the receipt.

I purchased it at Walmart because I had a giftcard for there.

Tried adding my Time Capsule also. I've had it for 3 1/2 years and bought it at the Apple Store. Can't be added unless I come up with the date that matches theirs. That one I could probably find if I wanted to search through my email for the receipt - that's not a gonna happen just to add it to their list.

Oh, and just to add, the TC is one of those ones that were suppose to die after 18 months.

Oh, makes sense, but I haven't gotten that screen to input the purchase date. I just now added an ipod 30gb video that I bought used on ebay, and all I had to do was input the serial number. I'm going to try later with the appleTV1 and see what it does.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, you can add one you bought 2nd hand without a date, but I can't add the ones I bought 1st hand without a date?

If you can put in the serial of a used device without the purchase date, then how does Apple go about deciding whether you need the purchase date or not to be able to add it to your profile?

I've already shot them an email, so we'll see if they respond.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bob, where did you send the e-mail if yo don't mind me asking. My Touch and 2 iPods were bought for me as a present, but I don't have the receipt. I can provide the Ser. # and I know they were registered to me(perhaps with a former e-mail address that I can't remember) and the music on them is from my iTunes account.

This part is frustrating

OP
C
Reaction score
Bob, where did you send the e-mail if yo don't mind me asking. My Touch and 2 iPods were bought for me as a present, but I don't have the receipt. I can provide the Ser. # and I know they were registered to me(perhaps with a former e-mail address that I can't remember) and the music on them is from my iTunes account.

This part is frustrating

The serial number should be on the back of the iPods..if not in the general "About" settings.

Whoops, I misread this. Never mind, moving on. :eek:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.