Apple Gripes

Reaction score
Decided to List Apple Gripes from a Recent Windows Convert (I am a Windows Technician for a University by day, iMac and macbook Pro at home)

-You can Never Convince me that their is a Better way than allowing "Cut" in Finder... Truly annoying.

-iTunes and Authorizing Computers. You can Authorize 5, but you can only "De-authorize All" once a year?!? Annoying...

-Not an Apple Gripes technically but If you make an iPad App which is available on the iPad/iPhone then it should be one purchase. I bought Amplitube for iPad and the iPhone on looks exactly the same. Just missing the "+" and there is no warning that you are about to spend another $20 by accident. The Amplitube writers are mostly to blame. But Apple's app store does not warn enough.

-Where is my list of purchased apps anywhere? I am talking about a list of apps I have deleted as well. I know it gives you a list of bought invoices, but not all apps are listed.

-Full Screen a Window. Really? Not available?

-The Dock cannot be set to be behind open windows. Minimize is fine, but I would rather see the dock instead of hide it, but the waste of screen space when a window cannot go in front of a dock.

If you can tell me otherwise, much appreciate it.

Last Gripe: Mac Users

Mac users who answer questions from Windows Users are kinda rude. If I ask how to full screen a window, I get chastised for saying "window" and then I get, "Windows Full screen sucks, and you do not want to do it" That is no answer.

Anyway... enough gripes... Would love help on some of these.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
Here comes a barage of red rep's... TAKE COVER!!!! :D

Honestly, you get used to the change. It just takes awhile coming from the PC mindset. It took me over a year to get used to the changeover to Mac though 99% of my business work is still on a PC.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
iTunes - you can de-authorize individual computers as often as you need in the menu of 'Store' - 'Deauthorize this computer'. If you're taking care of individual machines as you decommission them, there shouldn't be any need for a total deauthorization of all machines more than once a year. At least I hope you don't experience that many drives dying on you. I've had at least 15 computers authorized in the 4 years I've been using OS X and have made use of the 'deauthorize all' one time.

Amazon Unbox - the competitor to iTunes - allows 2 computers to be authorized - there is no place to deauthorize all of them, it must be done from the computer that was authorized. If a drive dies or say you do a fresh install of Windows without deauthorizing, well, you're just down to only being able to use 1 computer.

The Dock - seems to operate pretty much the same as the Windows Taskbar - you either have it hidden or it's shown all the time and your open apps do not cover it. How would you "see" the dock if it is behind other windows?

(And yes, unfortunately, the Mac world has it's fanboys the same as Windows and Linux have theirs.)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Mac users who answer questions from Windows Users are kinda rude. If I ask how to full screen a window, I get chastised for saying "window" and then I get, "Windows Full screen sucks, and you do not want to do it" That is no answer.

Do you really think that if a Mac User (who also uses Windows computers) asked some questions on a "Windows Computer Internet Forum"...they wouldn't get rude comments from some of the members???

Get real...it happens.;)

- Nick

p.s. You gave us your Apple Gripes...to be fair & balanced...how about telling us your Apple Praises (and why you decided to switch to Apple...and buy an iMac & a MacBook Pro).

OP
omicronkappa278
Reaction score
"Get Real... it happens." IS what I am talking about... The "Get Used to It" style of help is what turns of other users. Windows People Hate Windows too so you rarely get chastised about Windows Questions.

Praises, there are plenty
I find it simpler to get around.
I love the Finger Gestures on the MagicPad
I have always liked the way applications are protected and require authorization to make changes... a Major Windows flaw.
A cleaner look & feel
I like the way the applications are managed and can just be "deleted"

I would really mostly like to have CUT available and I can deal with everything else. The Deauthorize all is aggravating even though for someone else it was no issue. I forget to deauthorze sometimes when I rebuild and just do not see why I would need to wait to deauthroize all ever anyway?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"Get Real... it happens." IS what I am talking about... The "Get Used to It" style of help is what turns of other users. Windows People Hate Windows too so you rarely get chastised about Windows Questions.

What I mean by "Get Real...It Happens" is. Regardless of the internet forum you join...you will get all permutations for possible replies to a question you may ask.

Join a Windows forum & ask questions as a Macintosh to Windows switcher...and you will get:

- non-helpful negative responses/comments
- helpful positive responses/comments

Join a Macintosh forum & ask questions as a Windows to Macintosh switcher...and you will get:

- non-helpful negative responses/comments
- helpful positive responses/comments

If you're "silly" enough to think that starting a "Macintosh Gripe Thread" on a Macintosh internet forum isn't going to generate some negative responses...you must have just moved to Earth from another planet!;) The same exact thing would happen if someone did the same thing on a Windows internet forum.

Also consider as a "switcher" to Macintosh....you're expecting things to work in the Macintosh world just like they did in the Windows world. You switched to Macintosh for a reason...and that was to get away from things you disliked in the Windows world. But that doesn't mean that EVERYTHING in the Macintosh world is better...it just may be different!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
My point of all of this was to for help with my issues.

The title of your thread and your general attitude are probably not helping you there. If that's how you want to come across, then don't expect all polite answers. It's a 2 way street.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My point of all of this was to for help with my issues.

Let me make a "fun analogy"...:)

If you went over to your best friend's house...poked your best friends mother in the eye...then asked her to bake you a cake...how likely are you to get that cake?;)

Sort of the way this thread started;)

- Nick

p.s. Actually..."bobtomay" did answer some of your questions in post #3. If you still have some unanswered questions...please post away.:)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP i5 500GB 4GB, iPhone 3GS, 160GB Classic, 40GB ATV, 16GB iPad WiFi
I like threads like this. They bring me some night time humor. Thanks everyone.

PS- I also belong to PWCtoday which is a Personal water craft forum, some of the replies on here are 100% more polite than the response on PWC. Consider yourself luck.

- Mike

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PS- I also belong to PWCtoday which is a Personal water craft forum, some of the replies on here are 100% more polite than the response on PWC. Consider yourself luck.

- Mike

100% agree!:) I'm also a member on some other forums...and WOW...not much in the way of manners on many of them!:(

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I'm not sure your post belongs in iOS and Apps as most of your gripes are about OSX, not iOS. It may also be the reason you aren't getting a lot of replies.

Decided to List Apple Gripes from a Recent Windows Convert (I am a Windows Technician for a University by day, iMac and macbook Pro at home)

-You can Never Convince me that their is a Better way than allowing "Cut" in Finder... Truly annoying.
Agreed. Try Totalfinder or Pathfinder. Feel free to slide me a coupon for totalfinder :)
TotalFinder brings tabs to your native Finder and more!
Path Finder 5 by Cocoatech
Pathfinder does a lot more and is what I use for day to day file management

-iTunes and Authorizing Computers. You can Authorize 5, but you can only "De-authorize All" once a year?!? Annoying...
Yes it is annoying. You can sometimes call in and get them to wipe it for you if you need it for more than once a year but as Bob said, plan ahead and you won't have to use this feature. If you are really loosing that many drives a year then consider running raid 5.

-Not an Apple Gripes technically but If you make an iPad App which is available on the iPad/iPhone then it should be one purchase. I bought Amplitube for iPad and the iPhone on looks exactly the same. Just missing the "+" and there is no warning that you are about to spend another $20 by accident. The Amplitube writers are mostly to blame. But Apple's app store does not warn enough.
Although I agree that there should be more warning about buying an app again for a different iOS, there are some apps that have quite a bit more features on an iPad. If you don't agree with a developer then don't spend the money. I personally have found very few apps worthy to buy once for the iphone once for the ipad. iThoughts is one of them - but I am a big mind-mapping fan.

-Where is my list of purchased apps anywhere? I am talking about a list of apps I have deleted as well. I know it gives you a list of bought invoices, but not all apps are listed.
Good question. If anyone knows the answer I'd like to know. Also I have apps that are stored on an old drive that ran XP. I had to manually add them back to my new windows 7 install of itunes. Who knows if I got everything.

-Full Screen a Window. Really? Not available?
Try right zoom for mac
Download Right Zoom for Mac - Changes the default behavior of the green window zoom button. MacUpdate.com
or snapping with better touch tool - like windows 7 snapping drag the window to the top of the screen.
Downloads » BetterTouchTool & SecondBar

-The Dock cannot be set to be behind open windows. Minimize is fine, but I would rather see the dock instead of hide it, but the waste of screen space when a window cannot go in front of a dock.

If you can tell me otherwise, much appreciate it.
It is a big waste of screen space so I just hide it. I don't fully understand the frustration of hiding it. If you need it - it will pop in front otherwise it is gone. I put it off to the right side as I find my mouse doesn't wander left and right as much as up and down.

Anyway... enough gripes... Would love help on some of these.

I am a computer user and I have used just about every system out there. They all have their pluses and minuses. For every day computing I like the Mac. *nix power when I need it with an awesome desktop. If you come to a forum and kick the beehive - expect to get stung.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.