spray seeped into home button on iphone 4

Reaction score
hi,
I was putting on expenisve zagg shield on my iphone 4 (3 months old) and you have to spray the face of the iphone. put the plastic shield on, no bubbles. lovely.
went to use the phone a few minutes later to play some music. speakers didn't work, so i tried to increase volume. nothing. the speaker button came up on screen, but did not increase the volume bars.
then, I heard a really really disturbing crackling sound inside the phone and it shut down. at a guess, i'd say something electric came into contact with something wet.
the battery was fully charged.
it will not turn on.
it will not turn on when connected to the computer.
not even the apple picture, just pure black.
it has been in a large bag of rice for 24 hours with no change.
as far as i can see the moisture sensors have NOT been triggered, the one at the bottom looks kind of grey/reflective. in the earphone jack, i can see nothing of any colour (not sure where to look, i shined a light down, after romoving rice, and still couldn't see anything).

any advice? cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
It's shutting the gate after the horse has bolted but....you're not supposed to spray the phone, you're supposed to spray the shield.

In a more helpful vein I'd take it straight to the nearest Apple store to get it checked out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram
It's shutting the gate after the horse has bolted but....you're not supposed to spray the phone, you're supposed to spray the shield.

In a more helpful vein I'd take it straight to the nearest Apple store to get it checked out.
Yep. This was my first thought. I've never used the Zagg brand skin, but I have used Best Skins Ever and Bodyguardz and both of them stress in the directions not to spray the phone directly.

The apple store has been good to my wife...she dropped her phone twice and caused damage and they fixed it or replaced it each time. They might hook you up.

OP
M
Reaction score
Yep. This was my first thought. I've never used the Zagg brand skin, but I have used Best Skins Ever and Bodyguardz and both of them stress in the directions not to spray the phone directly.

The apple store has been good to my wife...she dropped her phone twice and caused damage and they fixed it or replaced it each time. They might hook you up.

Actually, I got the skin a while ago, applied them the first time without incident. but they had built up alot of dirt/dust/lint around the edges. they needed a good cleaning, as did the phone.
to get out all the bubbles and have no dust, you have to spray the shields, your fingers, the scraper etc. and, as the phone was quite dirty, i was careful to just spray the centre of the phone, and then wipe it clean with a dust free cloth. However, when you slide the shield around, and press down with the scraper the excess liquid goes everywhere. I don't think very much seeped in, but still, I was not careful enough, I guess.

I live in spain, and have to drive a very long way to get to an apple centre, and when using them in the past I found them... well, inexperienced. I found much more information online and they were surprised when i knew more about the problem (last time) than they did!
and with water damage, i'm guessing the waranty won't cover it - though the moisture sensors are not triggered... so maybe they will. if i could avoid going there, I surely would prefer that.

I just wondered if anyone knew:
1. about the moisture sensor in the earphone jack - any photos of before after? I've only found photos of the USB connector.
2. could it be something else, just a coincidence, as the moisture sensor has not been triggered.
3. how do i know if the battery is buggered? i'm assuming even a small amount of water would do this?
4. how long do i need to wait before trying to connect again (after sitting in rice bag) someone wrote on another entry that connecting to soon could cause further damage...
5. any helpful suggestions
cheers,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram
To see if it's just moisture, you could try the old bowl-of-rice trick. You won't have your phone for a day or two while you're waiting for the rice to pull out the moisture, but I've heard numerous success stories with it.

I too noticed the amount of spray/fluid stuff that squirts out from under the skin. It got on the ear piece and all over the home button...I wasn't sure what the difference between that and simply spraying the screen was, but I figured the manufacturers knew what they were doing.

:Confused:

OP
M
Reaction score
To see if it's just moisture, you could try the old bowl-of-rice trick.

I too noticed the amount of spray/fluid stuff that squirts out from under the skin. It got on the ear piece and all over the home button...I wasn't sure what the difference between that and simply spraying the screen was, but I figured the manufacturers knew what they were doing.

:Confused:

hi, yes, it's been in the rice bag for 24 hours now, I'm not sure how long I need to leave it though. so far, I still can't turn it on, not even when connected to the computer.
I had actually wiped the spray off the screen before applying the shield, so I'm not sure if that was the main factor, or the amount of water on the shield when pressed against the phone, I had to wipe away the water on the sides.

I get that the spray was a bad idea :Blushing:, but is there anything I can do now???

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.