thinking of buying a pb

OP
B

brianwithan eye

jkritch said:
i want to buy a pb but i heard they're gonna update soon. what should i do?

Dont wait. I didnt, I got mine 2 weeks ago and I havent been more happier. Even if they update it wont be major, its not like yr goign to be seeing any G5's in a powerbook any time..ever. So just get your 'book now, you wont regret it.

Reaction score
I agree, why wait? The next major update won't be until Intel gets in the mix.. Buy then you will want another PB anyway..

OP
J

jkritch

well at macrumors they suggest waiting cause the pb is due for an update anytime soon. i dont know what to do.

OP
M

menace3054

jkritch said:
well at macrumors they suggest waiting cause the pb is due for an update anytime soon. i dont know what to do.

i would definately wait. mac buyers guide @ http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/ says updates soon. even if the update isn't major, it could be something like a 16x super drive, faster processor, larger v-ram. that would definately be worth waiting for, in my opinion

OP
A

Alone2Gether

Those are the three big things I'm hoping for in the next update. Gonna wait it out til October/early November

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, 14'', 1.33 Ghz, 60gig, 768ram, Mac OsX 10.4.3
if you need a powerbook right now for work, then buy it.
if it's temptation only, you can wait, but it's gonna be hard. :)

OP
P

PaRaGoNViCtiM

It looks like the updates are coming in September. Personally, If I was ready to buy a PB, I would NOT be able to wait. But hey, if you can...wait it out!

OP
M

menace3054

PaRaGoNViCtiM said:
It looks like the updates are coming in September. Personally, If I was ready to buy a PB, I would NOT be able to wait. But hey, if you can...wait it out!

aparently the upgrades aren't spectacular, i think they said a 30mhz upgrade in processor speed. but you can look at it in 2 ways. 1) youll get the newest powerbook. 2) you'll be able to get the most recent revision for a few hundred less since the new ones will be out.

OP
M

menace3054

jkritch said:
will a powerbook run doom3?

no, well technically yes but it will run very crappily.

heres the reqs:
Doom 3 runs on any iMac G5, or any Mac that meets the requirements below
# Operating System: Mac OS X 10.3.8 or later
# CPU Processor: PowerPC G4/G5 or later
# CPU Speed: 1.5GHz or faster
# Memory: 512 MB or higher
# Hard Disk Space: 2.0GB free disk space
# Video Card (ATI): Radeon 9600 or better
# Video Card (NVidia): GeForce FX5200 or better
# Video Memory (VRam): 64 MB
# Media Required: DVD Drive

OP
J

jkritch

what about on the lowest settings? im thinking of buying q4 when it comes out for the multiplayer. should have around the same system requirements as doom. i wanna play strictly for multiplayer so i wouldnt care if i ran on ultra low grahics. what do you think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G5/Powerbook G4/Pegasos 2
I run Doom 3 just fine on my 15" 1.67 Powerbook. I do have 2GB of RAM though.

Reaction score
u should wait til they update, then buy the revision right b4 that for a few hundred dollars cheaper.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.