powerbook or ibook?

Reaction score
I'm in a bit of a tug-a-war with myself on choosing a laptop. i currently have a clamshell ibook, but have been looking at the lombards and wallstreets. the only thing that is holding me back is being wireless. i have read somewhere that the lombards and wallstreets can't be wireless. Can they and if so what exactly do i need for this to happen? is it worth it? also are they really bulky? Which does everyone prefer and is a better deal, the clamshell, lombard or wallstreet. also i know that the pismos are wireless capable but they are too pricy for me. thanks for any insight you all can help with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Well you should be able to get just about any PowerBook G3 series for less than $300. A little about each one and good prices to pay them are:

Wallstreet= $150 or less. Yes, you can add a CardBus wireless adapter for it. No exceptions on price for this, I don't care how much the seller says it has been upgraded. If they want more than $150, look elsewhere for another one. You WILL find one cheaper.

Lombard= $200 or less. It is lighter and thinner than the Wallstreet, and of course has the faster processors. You can also add a CardBus wireless adapter. Still just the same as the Wallstreet, no exceptions on the price. It is still an almost 7 year old computer.

Pismo= $350 or less. Same form factor as the Lombard, but with the addition of FW ports. They also have a slightly better VRAM and up to a 500 Mhz processor. They can also use the original AirPort card. This is why you can spend a little more for them, but I mean ...come on....it is still a 6 year old computer. DO NOT spend more than $350 for one of these. You will find one for that price or less. These yahoos that try to sell them for $400, $600 or some even up to $800 are completely insane. And the people that pay that much for them are absolutely UNsane.

Let's face facts here...yes each of these can run OS X. But, they are still G3 processors. They are years behind anything. Brand new Macs with much better specs can be purchased for $500. You can even find refurbed models for less at some places. It is absolutely crazy to pay $400 and $500 for a PowerBook G3 series laptop. Ignore these and take another look. eBay is crawling with these and are places like www.secondhandmac.com

Now each of these has the same upgrade ability: G4 proc upgrades, new HD, more RAM, DVD drives, etc.
It all depends on how much money you want to sink into it. But really, I would suggest against any major upgrades on these (processors, DVD, Logic boards...) Major upgrades are costly, time consuming and still leave you with a computer that is light years behind present day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
As posted above, a "CardBus wireless adapter." Google it, you'll get a gazillion hits.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.