Is AppleTV for me

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out if Apple TV would be good for me.

I currently have a dock for my IPOD touch that is hooked into my speakers as well I got the cables so I can view video from my touch on my TV. So I can watch youtube, show pictures(that are on my touch only) and of course play music.

I also have a PS3 so I have Netflix on that.

I am having a bit of a hard time understanding how AppleTV will benefit me. DOn't misunderstand me, at this point I am an Apple man, I'd like my whole house to be hooked up with Apple products lol. So in some ways I am actually looking for a reason to get it lol But I have to be able to justify it, what does AppleTV have that I don't already have.

I appreciate the help:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Right now you are limited by the size of the drive on your iPod as to how much content you can have available at any given time for viewing. With an ATV that increase to the limit of storage space on your computer and any hard drives that are attached to it. We are talking Terabytes of media storage vice 160Gb tops (iPod classic) with an iPod. That's a LOT of media.

If you don't have a lot of media and don't plan on encoding yourself a library or buying a lot of content, then there is really no point.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini
Do you have an iPhoto Library on your computer.
I find that I really like the ability to view my iPhoto Library on my Apple TV. It is a great way to share photos and homemade videos.

Apple TV does Dolby Surround 5.1.
I am not sure if your current set-up will do Surround Sound

Remember you are only paying $99 for the connivence of this all-in-one device.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Let me get in on this question too.

I am a recovering (somewhat) Macaholic (chief symptom is an uncontrollable urge to buy the latest Apple product).

I have probably even less justification for buying an ATV2 than the OP because I currently have a Mac Mini set up as a Home Theater system. Will I gain anything at all that could possibly justify the $99 expenditure?

My pocketbook has been itching since the ATV2 came out, but so far I have successfully resisted the impulse. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Will you gain anything? Not really. You will howver reduce the footprint of your home theater system on your entertainment center, save somewhat on your engery bill (the ATV would draw less power than than the Mini) and streamline your ability to rent videos from iTunes or Netflicks. Whatever you store on the mini can be moved to another location and consolidated or upgraded out of sight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3
The Mac Mini however can run flash which means that you can watch Hulu.com, southparkstudios.com and other flash based online streaming sites that the ATV2 can't access.

If you already have a HTPC solution or cable/satalite On Demand combined with a netflix enabled gaming system, then I don't see a need for the ATV2.

If you don't have anything yet and are looking for a HTPC option, the ATV2 is a great solution at the right price.

-Mike

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.