Have a weird hardware problem

Reaction score
I've got a black MacBook 2ghz Intel Core 2 Duo bought back in 06-07,

Not sure that helps with the problem, but it at least gives you an idea of the model...

I've been having a problem since last night where when I watch any sort of video (it started watching a DVD, but has continued now with even online videos) where the movie will start to skip and the audio will cut...

Along with that the audio jack on the side will flash its red light (I've read of people having a problem with that being stuck 'on' as if head-phones were in, but never heard of a scenario like this)

I was wondering if anyone could help me diagnose the problem,

Cheers,

~Mic

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When the jack displays a red light it means it's gone into digital audio mode and redirects the output thru the headphones and not the speakers. It can occur even when the headphones are removed. That would cause the audio to cut in and out but it should not have an effect on the video unless something else is causing it.

Download the free OnyX maintenance tool and use it clean the caches on the machine and repair permissions. No guaranty it will help but it's worth a try.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the thought, but unfortunately it didn't work...

Any other thoughts?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.