Capturing Streaming Video to Macbook?

Reaction score
Is there a way to do it? I am trying to record video off a educational site that has videos posted for organic chemistry, physics, etc. that are actual review lectures for the MCAT/PCAT/DAT/OAT taken from a university.

The website only allows streaming of the videos and I had to pay $70 dollars for access to them for 6 months. However, when I work my night job doing security where I would like to take advantage of my time and get paid to study, I have no WiFi access. Not to mention I would have permanent access for review purposes later on which would be very helpful.

Is there anyway that I can capture these streaming videos and save them directly to my HDD? Preferably for free since we students don't have much cashflow lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
If this is real streaming video, like when you listen to a radio station then you need some kind of a screen recorder.
Unfortunately I can't find any free screen recording software, but maybe I'm not looking in the right places.
Download iShowU for Mac - Capture anything on your screen as a movie. MacUpdate.com

If it is streaming video like YouTube does it.
RealPlayer has a download function that when installed detects videos and gives you the option of downloading them. I doesn't work always so you have to give it a try.
Download RealPlayer SP for Mac - Streaming video/audio player. MacUpdate.com

And it may not be allowed to save the streams to your own HD so make sure you can do it without getting into trouble.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Quicktime has it's own built in screen recorder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
I would have suggested that but it is limited to fullscreen recording and if the movie is smaller there's a lot of wasted space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I would have suggested that but it is limited to fullscreen recording and if the movie is smaller there's a lot of wasted space.

This is true... what was I thinking? :D

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. Much appreciated. I am able to actually make the videos full screen, so quicktime will work just fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok... but there is a setback with that.
You have a choice of built in mic, or line in, rather than internal audio, which means that if you use the built in mic you get crappy audio and external noises.
The way around this is connecting a cable with a 3.5mm - 3.5mm audio jack from the audio in to the audio out which I have done with my old late 07 macbook in the past and works just fine.
Pick this up at any audio supply store, online, etc for a few $.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I originally thought VLC could do this as i have recorded streaming audio before. In more research i can only find a tutorial for Window's VLC . . .

I did however find Flash Video Downloader... and the description ...

Flash Video Downloader is an application which allows you to easily batch download and save streaming flash videos from just about any website with streaming flash videos as long as the videos are set to autoplay (that is, they start playing when the page loads). Examples of sites are youtube.com, video.google.com, and dailymotion.com, but just about any website will work. Instead of sifting through the html code of the webpage to find the flash video, Flash Video Downloader 2 actually checks where the video is coming from and download it, which will ensure that it will still work even if the page has changed. It can even download videos that require you to login to the website and videos from websites that first play an advertisement. Flash Video Downloader 2 can also download up to 5 videos at a time in order to significantly improve the overall download times

Features:
1 Automatically checks for the newest version
2 Downloads the video files (.flv) for you so you don't have to deal with complicated "flash video downloading websites" or firefox extensions anymore
3 Will continue working even if a flash video site changes its coding because it actually checks where the videos is instead of relying on sifting through html code
4 Downloads up to 5 videos simultaneously to significantly speed up the overall process
5 Can download videos that require you to login to the website first
6 Able to download videos that first play an advertisement before the actual video
7 Allows many videos to be downloaded in a batch process, leaving you free to go do something else while Flash Video Downloader takes care of your videos for you
8 Shows the progress of each video as well as the overall process
9 Has optional Growl Support to easily notify you of the current progress
10 Can shut down the computer and/or beep when its finished
11 It's Free!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok... but there is a setback with that.
You have a choice of built in mic, or line in, rather than internal audio, which means that if you use the built in mic you get crappy audio and external noises.
The way around this is connecting a cable with a 3.5mm - 3.5mm audio jack from the audio in to the audio out which I have done with my old late 07 macbook in the past and works just fine.
Pick this up at any audio supply store, online, etc for a few $.
Actually there is a way to do it without cables, Soundflower
I have it installed and when I want to record system audio I just set the sound output to Soundflower 16ch and then set the recording application to grab the sound from soundflower.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually there is a way to do it without cables, Soundflower
I have it installed and when I want to record system audio I just set the sound output to Soundflower 16ch and then set the recording application to grab the sound from soundflower.

Thank you.... greatly appreciated. :)

Reaction score
reply to Capturing Streaming Video to Macbook

I know that capture streaming videos to pc by Video Download Converter is a good way, Which I learn about from download video page. You may experience it by yourself to check whether this way is suitable for you to capture streaming videos to Macbook.

Reaction score
Personally I use Jaksta in Windows... I bought it after reading many positive reviews on the Audio/video stream recording forums , although the mods were suggesting other software. Anyway I like it a lot... And there is a version for Mac now, but I haven't tried it yet.

Download Streaming Video for the Mac with Jaksta | Jaksta

JAKSTA FOR MAC
The first-ever streaming media recorder for Mac!
Automatically converts video & audio files
Download up to 10x faster than playback
Captures media from thousands of sites
So easy anyone can use it
Supports all popular stream formats
BUY NOW – $49.95 DOWNLOAD TRIAL
See how easy it is to capture video and music from thousands of web sites:

Supports all Common Stream Formats and Protocols

FLV, HTTP, RTSP, ICECAST, WMV, ASF, MP3, MP4, SWF
Requirements

Mac OS X 10.5 or later, Intel processor

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.