Invoking Mac processes from Windows

Reaction score
I'm about to install Windows 7 via Bootcamp, but have a few questions first:

1. I plan on running a database program that makes changes to metadata in photo files (IDImager). This database will be run in Windows. I want to read and write files on my OSX partition or an external hard drive. Can I do that? Or am I limited to only the Windows partition?

2. This same database program allows you to set up opening an external photo editing program by double clicking the thumbnail, or by right-clicking and selecting "open with". If I were to use Parallels for VM, would I be able to select an OSX application to "open with".

3. Does Windows 7 via Bootcamp allow accessing external drives? (Sounds like it does, but just want confirmation).

thanks for your help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Both Parallels and Fusion allow for sharing files and folders. So yes, it's possible to open a file on the Mac side from a Windows VM. I do it all the time when I run my XP VM from Fusion.

Windows 7 run from a Boot Camp partition is the same as running native Windows 7 on a Dell or HP. So yes, it "sees" external drives.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.