virus help please!

Reaction score
I'm fairly certain my poor Macbook has a virus. When I am surfing the web, sometimes a random new window will appear [though not as the default window, so I don't always see it right away] and I cannot click on any links in Google, as it will redirect me to random pages in new tabs.
These random windows and tabs are not vulgar or offensive, but only supremely annoying. I have tried downloading and using Firefox, but the same problems persist, so I really think it's a virus on my computer somewhere. I am in college and I often let others use my computer, so I really have no idea how this could have happened.
Is there any way to purge this evil from my Mac? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Maybe it's the websites you are visiting?! Just because you get new pop-ups, doesn't mean you have a virus.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X Version 10.9.4 MacBook Pro 15" 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
I would suggest installing the Firefox add-on Adblock Plus. Then give Firefox another spin around the block and see what happens.

OP
S
Reaction score
Maybe, but it seems to be any and all. Even navigating around this site I got one. And if it isn't a virus, I would still like to stop it. Is there any way to stop plain old pop-ups? Truly, and advice would help!

C

chas_m

There aren't any viruses for the Mac, so NO you don't have a virus.

To paraphrase someone else's signature: "A virus is NOT the same thing as 'a problem I don't understand.'"

OP
S
Reaction score
There aren't any viruses for the Mac, so NO you don't have a virus.

To paraphrase someone else's signature: "A virus is NOT the same thing as 'a problem I don't understand.'"

Well that's great to hear, but it doesn't help me get rid of my problem. Regardless of what the problem is, do you have any advice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 Macbook Pro 13"
A trojan or some type of malware perhaps? Will the free Mac AV program(s) find and remove these?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
To paraphrase someone else's signature: "A virus is NOT the same thing as 'a computer problem I don't understand.'"
Fixed that for ya. ;)

When I am surfing the web, sometimes a random new window will appear [though not as the default window, so I don't always see it right away] and I cannot click on any links in Google, as it will redirect me to random pages in new tabs.
So what is in these windows? Just advertisements?

Try Safari > Reset Safari... but don't clear your passwords. (leave that unchecked)

Reaction score
it very well could be malware, security researchers have stated that malware attacks will target All apple products in 2011, as well as android devices and several others. The attacks will be stronger and more wide spread in the very near future.

use your favorite search engine to search for this info yourself

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
If a virus does rear its head for the Mac's you will not be able to pick up a magazine or listen to a news feed that will not have some info about it so until then relax and don't
let the fear factor that AV co's like to spread year after year after year.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
it very well could be malware, security researchers have stated that malware attacks will target All apple products in 2011, as well as android devices and several others. The attacks will be stronger and more wide spread in the very near future.

They've been saying the same thing every year for a long time.
Believe the pundits trying to sell software if you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...

I'll be chilling as I lean back on my chair and wait for it all.

Reaction score
There are browser preferences you can set to stop pop-ups. Also clear the cookies, history and browser cache.

Reaction score
They've been saying the same thing every year for a long time.
Believe the pundits trying to sell software if you want.

yes they have said that, I dont have a MAC so it does not matter to me about the upcoming attacks on Apple products.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
yes they have said that, I dont have a MAC so it does not matter to me about the upcoming attacks on Apple products.

So, you must be one of the pundits wanting to sell their software and preying on the fears of recent ex Windows users.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Where are you located?

What is your DNS set to?

What is in your /etc/hosts file?

Try google dns to see if it helps

DNS settings are specified in the Network window.
Example: Changing DNS server settings on Mac OS 10.5
From the Apple menu, click System Preferences, then click Network.
If the lock icon in the lower left-hand corner of the window is locked, click the icon to make changes, and when prompted to authenticate, enter your password.
Select the connection for which you want to configure Google Public DNS. For example:
To change the settings for an Ethernet connection, select Built-In Ethernet, and click Advanced.
To change the settings for a wireless connection, select Airport, and click Advanced.
Select the DNS tab.
Click + to replace any listed addresses with, or add, the Google IP addresses at the top of the list: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.
Click Apply and OK.
Test that your setup is working correctly; see Testing your new settings below.
Repeat the procedure for additional network connections you want to change.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.