Time Machine Tricks

Reaction score
Wondering if anybody knows of a way to add Time Machine to a 10.4.x (Tiger) OS ... without buying the full Box Set OS upgrade?

If I had Leopard I know I could just add it via a Snow Leopard upgrade for $30. But because my MacBook wuns Tiger, it seems I need the $129 Box Set.

Any chance I could just buy the Snow Leopard upgrade (w/ Time Machine included) and install/run that on my Tiger OS?

Thanks

OP
jmanker
Reaction score
Time Machine?

Wondering if anybody knows of a way to add Time Machine to a 10.4.x (Tiger) OS ... without buying the full Box Set OS upgrade?

If I had Leopard I know I could just add it via a Snow Leopard upgrade for $30. But because my MacBook runs Tiger, it seems I need the $129 Box Set.

Any chance I could just buy the Snow Leopard upgrade (w/ Time Machine included) and install/run that on my Tiger OS?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Buy the full box set for $129 if you can afford it. The updated iLife suite alone is well worth the price and you also get the latest Boot Camp and Time Machine. Neither of which is included with Tiger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Merged threads, please don't crosspost.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
Have you thought about SuperDuper or CCC?

OP
jmanker
Reaction score
Have you thought about SuperDuper or CCC?

No, I hadn't considered those programs. Thanks for the tip.

Both look pretty similar to Time Machine on the surface. Do you know if there are any major differences? If one is better for backing up to an external drive than the other?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
No, I hadn't considered those programs. Thanks for the tip.

Both look pretty similar to Time Machine on the surface. Do you know if there are any major differences? If one is better for backing up to an external drive than the other?

TM makes a full backup of the system, but is not initially bootable.

CCC and SuperDuper make full backups of the system and they are fully bootable.

So with TM on your new PC you would have to put the install DVD in and then restore from TM. With CCC/SuperDuper you just put the new hard drive and it is an exact replica from your old hard drive.

OP
jmanker
Reaction score
TM makes a full backup of the system, but is not initially bootable.

CCC and SuperDuper make full backups of the system and they are fully bootable.

So with TM on your new PC you would have to put the install DVD in and then restore from TM. With CCC/SuperDuper you just put the new hard drive and it is an exact replica from your old hard drive.

Great stuff, thanks for the quick reply. Think I'll give one of these a try, though unsure which yet.

Any idea if either of these programs allow you to format your external drive? I may have to plug into a PC one day and migrate all my Mac data... so I want to be sure I don't do anything to jeopardize my ability to do that.

Again, thanks for all the info.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.