Transfer of data question

Reaction score
I have about 2 GB of data on an older G3 that I'd like to transfer over to a new iMac desktop and a Macbook Pro before I totally retire the G3. The G3 has only a serial port, whereas the newer Macs have USB ports, etc. Is there a way to efficiently move the data between the Macs? Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Efficiently? Probably not. Without a firewire or USB port on the G3, one way would be to remove the hard drive and place it in a carrier or use an adapter. Then attach it to your new machines and transfer the data that way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini
Plus one for the Hard Drive Adapter.
They are not expensive ($30 to $60) and it could be very useful as a backup device after you are done with the G3 Data Tranfer.

DavidH

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.