Memory App and External Memory

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.4, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Ok, Hello, I signed up on this website a long time ago and knew it would come in handy one day! Anyways, I was wondering if 1) there is a application out there that can pull up all your memory and tell you how much is used and what it's being used on. And 2) I have a WD Smartware Passport Essential SE and I was wondering if I could use it as an outside memory source, for example I could save my music on it then plug it in and play the music through iTunes. If i could do this easily and without having to write the music back onto my computer and then delete it all when im finished, Im trying to free up space on my MBP. Thank you for all advice or tips in advance as well as after you've replied.

TBUS

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Just a clarification...you're not talking about "memory" (which is ram)...you're talking about "storage space"...which is what you find in a hard drive.

Hard drive "storage space" is NOT memory!;)

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.4, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Just a clarification...you're not talking about "memory" (which is ram)...you're talking about "storage space"...which is what you find in a hard drive.

Hard drive "storage space" is NOT memory!;)

- Nick

Oh ok, yea cause isnt memory always the same? Anyways, do you know the answer to any of these questions?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Anyways, I was wondering if 1) there is a application out there that can pull up all your memory and tell you how much is used and what it's being used on.

The Mac OS can do this...just click on your HD...and do a "command + i" & it will tell you how much is used/full. As far as "what it's used on"...I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Storage space is storage space...whether it's a word processing document, a video, an mp3, or a photo. It's up to you to organize your files in a manner that makes sense to you (in specially named folders for example). Then you do a "command + i" on the folder...and it will tell you how much is stored in the folder.

And 2) I have a WD Smartware Passport Essential SE and I was wondering if I could use it as an outside memory source, for example I could save my music on it then plug it in and play the music through iTunes.

Sure you can.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.