Parallels questions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.
Hi Guys,
I have a Mac Mini Aluminium running the Snow Leopard OS at 2.4 GHz with 2 gb of RAM and my only reason for wanting to use Parallels in order to install Windows XP Pro (SP3) on this Mac is so that i can run Voice Recognition software. I have tried all kinds of VR software but I can't find one that works with Snow Leopard.
But here's the thing. I have Microsoft Office for the Mac but if I got a programme such as Nuance's Dragon Naturally Speaking 10 (for windows), would I be able to dictate directly into the Office programme?
Also, (i get confused easily) if I have the VR software installed on the Windows partition created by Parallels during install, will I be able to use the Navigation aspect of the VR software on the Mac OS?
By "Navigation", I mean things like using the VR to scroll up and down a web page, open programmes or click links.

Lastly, and on a totally different subject, I realise that I will need to install an AV prog but even that confuses me. I have ClamXav installed on my Mac but do I need to install another AV prog such as Avast on the Windows partition?

Thanks for any help, guys.
Steve

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
Hi Guys,
I have a Mac Mini Aluminium running the Snow Leopard OS at 2.4 GHz with 2 gb of RAM and my only reason for wanting to use Parallels in order to install Windows XP Pro (SP3) on this Mac is so that i can run Voice Recognition software. I have tried all kinds of VR software but I can't find one that works with Snow Leopard.
But here's the thing. I have Microsoft Office for the Mac but if I got a programme such as Nuance's Dragon Naturally Speaking 10 (for windows), would I be able to dictate directly into the Office programme?
Also, (i get confused easily) if I have the VR software installed on the Windows partition created by Parallels during install, will I be able to use the Navigation aspect of the VR software on the Mac OS?
By "Navigation", I mean things like using the VR to scroll up and down a web page, open programmes or click links.

Lastly, and on a totally different subject, I realise that I will need to install an AV prog but even that confuses me. I have ClamXav installed on my Mac but do I need to install another AV prog such as Avast on the Windows partition?

Thanks for any help, guys.
Steve
AFAIK Dragon can dictate directly into Microsoft Word, not sure about the other office programs. I don't use Dragon so I can't comment 100%, sorry.

And yes you need an AV running on the Windows side. MSE is a decent all in one suite.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
When you are running something in the VM, applications can only access what's available in that VM, not on the "host" OS. So, if you have Office running in OS X (that's the host), your Windows installation in the VM knows nothing about it. As far as Windows is concerned, it doesn't even know that it's running in a VM anyway..

If you were to try to use voice commands to control the desktop, you'd only be able to control the Windows running in the VM, not OS X..

Dragon has a version for the Mac, and if you were planning on buying that anyway, why not get the Mac version so you can do EXACTLY what you want to do as opposed to buying and using Windows for something that it clearly wont do?

Regards

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, razor, I wasn't very clear. I already have the Windows version of the VR and to go out and buy the Mac version that works (Dragon Dictate 2) would cost upwards of £120.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
s20din ... Thanks for that. I'll have a look at reviews on that AV suite.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.