how many people use their ipod as a boot drive?

S

speedydave

Right now I have my iPod formatted for Windows so I can use it with both my PC desktop and my PB, and use it as an external hard drive for any machine I may have the need to do so with. However, I'm considering formatting my iPod for Mac and installing OSX onto it so I can use it as a boot drive in case I ever happen to need to. I'm just curious who actually does this, and if it would be worth losing the capability to use it as a HD for Windows and Mac in order to use it as a boot drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
that is a tough question to answer...i'd almost be inclined to tell you to spring for a cheap 20 gig hd and use that as a boot drive if you need to

maybe a little more info about your actual computer usage and portability and what not could help

-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well it is fairly unlikely IMO that you'll ever need your emergency boot drive purely to run OS X, what is more important are the files and documents of yours.

I'd consider leaving the iPod formatted for both systems and just backing up your home folder to it - if you have the space.

OP
M

meatychi

I got a friend who backsup his PB on his ipod and uses as a boot disk when he takes his pod to work instead of his laptop.

Its defincately worth considering but I like the ability to use it as an external drive for both PC and MAC just in case!

OP
S

speedydave

Yeah, I'll probably just leave my iPod as-is. The main reason I wanted to have the iPod as a possible boot drive is because of my recent issues with my PB's hard drive dying, but it doesn't make sense to be paranoid about it happening again and losing the ability to use my iPod as an external hard drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.