Attaching a seperate monitor to an iMac

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a refugee from the 'ol MacAddict/MacLife forums. I have an Intel iMac that now has a 1 inch white bar from top to bottom on the screen; seems my LCD is probably going. Now I want to attach a monitor; seems cheaper than buying a whole new computer. This IS dumb question, but I have to ask it. If I do this, will the white bar show up on the monitor too? This would defeat the logic of using one. Thanks for your advice
Regards, iZoe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" AL 2.93 GHz Intel C2D - SSD, HDD external, OS X 10.7, 4 GB Ram
If the problem is the monitor and not the video card then there shouldn't be a problem.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Take a screen shot: command + shift + F3

Typically, if it's a graphics card issue, the screen shot will look the same as your screen - if it's a screen problem, the screen shot will be fine.

OP
I
Reaction score
Took a screen shot. White bar is not there. Seems that this is a problem with the LCD exclusively (crosses fingers) This is the lesser of two evils... Then I can use an external monitor without a problem; a video card fix wouldn't be worth it on this older model Intel iMac and I don't want a new computer (Windows would be all I could afford)... Thanks for all your help friends.

Kind Regards,
iZoe

P.S. If the video card is going too, then I guess I already have monitor and could... gulp... buy the Windows tower only... shutters...

OP
I
Reaction score
UPDATE: Got the adapter, got a 22 inch monitor, spent under $130.00 (w/tax) and my Mac is back up. I'm soooo happy!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Take a screen shot: command + shift + F3

Typically, if it's a graphics card issue, the screen shot will look the same as your screen - if it's a screen problem, the screen shot will be fine.

That is brilliant. How come I never think of simple stuff like that?

Was going to do a rep bump but apparently you were the last person I gave a rep bump to.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.