eMac screen flicker

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo - eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 400 MHz - iPad 2 16GB
My beloved eMac is developing a screen flicker.

Should I:

Try doing an LCD mod?

Try removing the CRT and doing a case mod and use an external monitor?

Other?

I seriously don't want to give up on this Mac.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Did you buy this eMac recently? I know that we had a couple "CRT screen flicker" threads in the past month or so. I'm guessing you read them...and that flicker is usually due to old age (high usage hours)...not much you can do about it (that makes financial sense).

One option to consider if your REALLY like eMacs (given the cost of used eMac's)...is just buy another one, and hopefully you can inspect it first before buying to make sure the display is in great shape. This is probably a lot less expensive than some of the "eMac mods" you mentioned.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
50voltphantom
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo - eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 400 MHz - iPad 2 16GB
^I hear what your saying. But it would be really cool to have one with an LCD. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^I hear what your saying. But it would be really cool to have one with an LCD. :)

Hey...that's ok!:) I'm usually thinking from the least cost perspective...but sometimes doing "cool things" is not always the "lowest cost" route.:)

It may take some research & a lot of self-confidence to actually get in there & start desoldering & cutting wires...but hey...you gotta do what you gotta do!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I agree with Nick about the questionable wisdom of trying to do surgery within the eMac to wire in an LCD, so why not use an external monitor? I know, the argument is always about space, but you can tuck the eMac away from the immediate work area and enjoy the view of an LCD monitor instead.
[I'm debating the very same thing myself, as my eMac CRT screen is on the wane. It's either an external monitor or a replacement Mac.]

OP
50voltphantom
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm pretty sure I'm going to do an LCD mod. I just need to get my hands on a 17" screen for the right price. I'm really excited to try it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm pretty sure I'm going to do an LCD mod. I just need to get my hands on a 17" screen for the right price. I'm really excited to try it.

I would love to see the results...and what you thought of the process!:)

- Nick

OP
50voltphantom
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would love to see the results...and what you thought of the process!:)

- Nick

Oh, I'll definitely post the process/results. There is a how-to online that involves some more-than-basic electronics skills, but it would be easy set up the display port as a primary display and run a cable back into the machine along with separate power cord to feed the new internally-mounted LCD. Not too difficult, really.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.