Re-install probs

Reaction score
Got a new MacBook pro so did a complete erase and re install on my old PowerBook as I'm giving it away. It's now how it was 7 years ago but I can't upgrade the software online to an upto date spec as it tells me my admin password is wrong, annoying when I know it's correct. Keeps locking me out after so many attempts. Went into help which tells me to install the disk and click on install then select change password but can't as before I get to that stage it's asking for admin password lmfao!!!! Any help lol ?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you using your original install disk to boot the Powerbook? You should be able to boot with it and change the admin password that way. You don't need a password to boot from the disk unless you somehow setup a firmware password.

OP
glennpompier
Reaction score
Yes, using the disk it came with.
For some reason after doing a complete erase and re install what ever I try and do on the Powerbook it always asks for a password before letting me do anything. Like I said I 100% know the password and it tells me it's wrong!

Just tried to install Panther the first upgrade from the now back to original Powerbook and guess what, it's asked for the admin password. Once again it's telling me it's wrong. Think a 14lb hammer will sort it out.

OP
glennpompier
Reaction score
OK think I've sorted it, booted the Powerbook holding down the C key and then found the reset password in the file menu. If you don't see me on here again regarding this I'm done lol.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.