• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Uncompressed video in DVD Studio Pro?

B

bigsci

Hi, I was thinking about getting DVD Studio Pro to make DVDs but was curious about the quality. I don't think DVD Studio Pro can output uncompressed video, but can it? What kind of compression does it use? How does it compare to professional DVDs?

Right now we have one system with an i/o and video raid and lots of expensive equipment that lets it burn DVDs uncompressed. We want to make DVDs on more than one computer without buying all that equipment but also make them look good.

thanks for any help answering my very newbie question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
All DVDs (including professional) use mpeg2 compression. uncompressed video is far too big to fit more then 5-10 minutes in DVD (as data). DVD studio pro will convert the movie file to mpeg2 as soon as you import it in the project (mpeg2 encoding is quite time consuming)

what you mean by uncompressed DVD? it is not possible to create DVD video without mpeg compression.

the quality of the final DVD video depends on the quality of source video. you cant get professional quality video unless you have a HD camcorder or film. dont expect to get same quality from DV.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.