Enable Access for Assistive Devices?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.4GHz 4GB RAM, 32GB iPhone 3GS
I'm intrigued by 2up...an app that allows you to fit a window to exactly 1/2 of your screen using a keystroke shortcut...similar to the Windows 7 feature.

In order to use it it says I have to 'Enable Access for Assistive Devices' via the Universal Access menu.

Is this safe to do?

Also, is there a better way to do this 'snap to 1/2 of the screen' thing that I might be missing? I'm surprised Mac OSX is missing something that Windows has...hmm.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I don't know anything about 2up, but I use Size Up and don't get this enable assistive devices message.
Never heard of this message, so perhaps go with sizeup, and meanwhile, I'm going to do some research on 2up and this message. :)
Apple - Downloads - Productivity Tools - SizeUp

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know anything about 2up, but I use Size Up and don't get this enable assistive devices message.
Never heard of this message, so perhaps go with sizeup, and meanwhile, I'm going to do some research on 2up and this message. :)
Apple - Downloads - Productivity Tools - SizeUp

Thanks I'd appreciate the info.

I've heard of that one and Cinch also...but (obviously) if 2up is free and does the same thing, I'll try to save the cash!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I just checked, and found that 2up (TwoUp) has been discontinued.... guessing there is good reason for this!
Even though SizeUp is a demo, you can still use it for free, but you just get a dialogue box come up each time you launch it saying that it is a demo version, and to not get the dialogue box pop up every now and then, purchase the license. :D

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK I just downloaded sizeup and I can't seem to get it to do anything...??

What am I missing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What do you mean?
Ok, lets say you have a browser window open, and you click left size up menu in the menu bar or using the shortcut, it shifts to the left, and if you open another browser window, and then click right, the new window will snap to the right.....
This is what it will look like.

Is this not working for you?

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I closed and restarted sizeup...and it gave me the same message that 2up did when I downloaded it...had to 'Enable Access for Assistive Devices'. I checked that option, and now it works pretty much as you showed above, with the only exception being that it doesn't perfectly size the windows next to each other. Instead, the window on the right slightly overlaps the one on the left. Is there a remedy for this?

Also, is there a way to set a 'default' position for a window so that when it's launched, it automatically opens that way? For example, I want iTunes and Safari next to each other now. But when I close everything and eventually launch Safari again, I want it to open large and centered, not where I left it snapped to one side of the screen. Is that possible to do?

Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
had to 'Enable Access for Assistive Devices
Not sure about why that is!

it doesn't perfectly size the windows next to each other. Instead, the window on the right slightly overlaps the one on the left. Is there a remedy for this?

Go to SizeUp preferences, margins, and put 1s where I have instead of 0s.

Also, is there a way to set a 'default' position for a window so that when it's launched, it automatically opens that way? For example, I want iTunes and Safari next to each other now. But when I close everything and eventually launch Safari again, I want it to open large and centered, not where I left it snapped to one side of the screen. Is that possible to do?

Haven't played around in the preferences enough to answer that one.

I rarely use SizeUp, as I generally use spaces and expose to meet my needs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.