iMac won't start up

Reaction score
Hey guys, new here and I have a question concerning my iMac, it's a 27 inch iMac I bought last December from the Apple store and it hasn't been a pain before but recently I was gonna use it to add money to my iTunes account, and when I went to do that it suggested I update iTunes so I did, it also suggested I update a bunch of other stuff so I was like why not. Anyways it went to restart so it could update the programs like it normally does, and that's where it got bad.

It showed a white screen with the Apple logo and a spinning loading circle and a bar below it that looked like it was showing the progress for the update, but after about 5-10 minutes the bottom "progress bar" stopped showing and I was left with the Apple logo and a spinning circle (Not the beach ball) for HOURS, I seriously let it go for around 4 hours once before I turned it off. I've restarted it like 5 times, even unplugged it and let it sit twice, so I'm curious... what's wrong with it and how do I fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Something went wrong with the update

Have you still got the restore discs that came with the mac, and do you have a Time Machine back-up

OP
D
Reaction score
Something went wrong with the update

Have you still got the restore discs that came with the mac, and do you have a Time Machine back-up

I might have them somewhere I'm looking for them, I have a Snow Leopard OSX disk that I used on my MacBook, think that might be able to work incase I can't find the restore disks (Long shot probably figure I'd ask). Also what do I do if I have a disk in my iMac, how do I get it out?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If it is a black full retail install yes with two 'maybes'. If it is silver/grey and came with the MacBook ~ no. However if it is an older version than what you received with the iMac, say OS X.6.4 came with the iMac and the disc is an earlier version, then no again.

To get the disc out reboot and hold down the mouse button, or trackpad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.