Is Airport Extreme giving me phone noise?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Retina 5K/3.4GHz Core i5/256GB SSD/40GB DDR4/Logitech MX Master 2S/
Granted my cordless handsets are 2.8GHz and pretty old, although on my second line I have one(1) 5.8GHz phone and I'm getting noise on that one as well as a hard-wired ATT 2-line answering machine with wired handset. But can a wireless router cause so much trouble with all phones... or just cordless?

Its been suggested that I should upgrade my cordless phones to 6.0 DTECT which supposedly is much more router friendly. Should I also try changing the broadcast frequency of the airport?

This noise is driving us nuts because everyone calling us says our phones go in and out. Tough to have a conversation LOL!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Could be a good idea to change the channel of your airport, just play around with them to see if it changes, also you could try changing the splitters on your phone lines, (they do degrade over time and only cost about £1 each).

- Simon

OP
drgrafix
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Changed the channel once, nothing seems to have changed. On impulse I went out and bought a Panasonic 6.0 DETECT+ setup and the handsets are charging now. Bought it at Costco and if they don't help... I can always return them.

I should've mentioned before I'm using VOIP with Vonage. Modem is a Motorola Surfboard SB6120 eXtreme with DOSCIS 3.0 and Comcast is my cable provider.

Probably will change channels again once I get the new phones charged & distributed around the house.

OP
drgrafix
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just wondering out loud... I've changed channels twice now and in the utility I'm told that Airport Extreme has been updated and will now re-start. Only problem is the green light never flashes, goes off, and never see the amber light either. Should I manually pull the power for 30 seconds and confirm it restated and the new channel has been selected?

BTW, the Panasonic DTECT 6.0+ is not solving the problem of the connection fading in and out. Went from auto channel to 5 and now to 11. Some calls are better than before but we've had two people today say the voice was fading in and out when we called them... but no problem when they called us? Any ideas?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.