file sharing issues

Reaction score
Hi

I am trying to set up file sharing between my two macs, however when I click on "shared" in finder and I click on my macbook as a device it allows me to connect as a guest and put files in the dropbox. However this is where the problem lies when I am on my macbook and I click on my other mac I get a "not connected", I then proceed to click on the option connect as which brings up a login box. This login box lists my name automatically as davidwisely which is the name of my home on place's and asks for a password for it. This struck me as odd because I don't recall pairing a password with any such username (does your home place even have a password?) anyway it is not my user account name and no password I try matches up, prompting me with a username or password is incorrect. Is there a setting that must be tweaked on the imac so that it does not require someone to have a password to share files with it and just log in as a guest? Or is it a setting on my macbook that requires a password to start sharing. If anyone could help with this issues as to what password it might be asking for as it might not be setup yet or how to alter so it doesnt need one I would be much appreciated, Im stumped with something that should really be a quite a simple process. Also another quick question what should the average speed of transfer be for bluetooth sharing? it only hits around 60kb/s for me which seems pretty slow

p.s file sharing and internet sharing is turned on on both machines and the firewall is turned off on both

Cheers guys!

OP
D
Reaction score
New development, just found out logging in as guest like I am able to do on my imac is just as useless as not being able to connect at all to my imac from my macbook because when I try to transfer data I get a promp saying I dont have permission to see its contents and cant drop files in its folders ect, If anyone could help me with any security issues I may be faltering on (as its looking more and more likely so) from connecting these two macs any help would be much much appreciated!

Reaction score
you need to use a login from the server-side computer, if you're on your MacBook trying to connect to your iMac then you need to use your login details for your iMac

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.