How do I find my TIF files within iPhoto?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 15" MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz 185 GB HD (don't ask, I can't explain!)
Hi folks,

I have some TIF files in iPhoto that need to go. How do I find them and delete them within iPhoto? They were downloaded as RAW files and the edits were saved as monster-sized TIF's.

I can find them in the finder (all 63 of them!), but the extension that comes up when I search for the same images in iPhoto is .NEF (the Nikon RAW extension), not .TIF.

Thanks in advance for your help,

pomology

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quick, important P.S.:

I need to delete the edited files without deleting the originals. Can this be done?

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Grrrrrr.....

After weeks of trying to figure this out, I finally stumbled on a thread that answered my question in one sentence. Terence Devlin says: "If you use the Photos -> Revert to Original command the Modified version is destroyed."

I looked up all the TIF files in the Finder, then did a search for just one in iPhoto. When I followed the path specified, there was no option to "Revert to Original". So I typed "Revert to Original" into the Help menu, and what came up was that I have to select "Reprocess RAW" for RAW files.

Problem solved! Although now I have to locate each TIF file one at a time in the Finder, then go back to iPhoto and do a search for it there in order to remove it. Thank God there are only 63!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21" 8GB, MBP 15" 2.5 Penryn, 4 GB/180 GB
I commend you for coming back and telling others how you resolved this. Well done.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, shades!

I just finished deleting every last unnecessary TIF file. I checked the file size from the Finder as I was looking them up by filename in iPhoto. They were anywhere from 13 to 49 MB! Most were around 40 MB. Many of those were merely cropped - few or no other edits had been made in many cases. I couldn't believe that just cropping a photo and saving it as a TIF would produce such ridonculously large files! And the stupid thing is, I did it just as an experiment! Well, never again will I tick the "Save RAW edits as 16-bit TIFF files" box again, unless I actually need a 16-bit TIFF file!

Now if I could only figure out how to automatically display file sizes in the Finder....

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, good grief! All I had to do was expand the window to the right in list view??? REALLY???

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.