Connecting my Macbook Pro to Plasma TV

Reaction score
Regardless of extensive research, I've not been able to find an identical question...

I have a MacBook Pro and a 42" Dynex plasma TV. I bought a Mini Displayport to VGA converter adapter. I've connected it with an HDMI cord which, from what I understand, should carry audio and video. I've been able to get the video to pull up on my TV, but no sound. I've done the following:

System Preferences>Sound>Output>HDMI, rather than internal speakers and chose "Sound Output" for "Use audio port for"

Electronics are not my forte, but I've done everything that I've read to do, but just can't seem to get it figured out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
I bought a Mini Displayport to VGA converter adapter. I've connected it with an HDMI cord

Super confused.
You have a mini displayplay to vga adapter. Then an HDMI coming out of that to the TV?
Yes HDMI does video and audio as long as: a) you have a 2010 MBP, and b) it's the only cable / adapter in the setup.
Get a mini displayport to HDMI adapter.

OP
B
Reaction score
ok-- the vga converter is what it was titled as on the website. however, what i have IS the mini displayport to HDMI. Sorry for that..

Can you explain to me what a 2010 MBP is, please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
A MacbookPro from 2010.

Is the mini displayport to HDMI adapter from Apple or from like monoprice or Amazon? Because, believe it or not, the ones from Apple will 100% carry audio, but some from Amazon do not.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Can't provide any specific help for your question without:

The specs of your Mac.

A link to the specific adapter you bought.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.