MacbookPro 15" Freezing - only solution is hard reboot

Reaction score
It happens randomly, MBP is on but my mouse and all other keys are inactive. Whatever was on screen prior to this "freeze" continues (such as a video, even my screensaver). The only button that stops its is the power button. It brings up the shutdown dialog box but then i can do anything but hold the power button down til it reboots. Then it reboots with no problem.

This started recently, not sure exactly when..maybe since the last Snow Leopard update??? Anyone else having this issue? I believe it's the early 2008 model - MB133*/A, MB134*/A, or MB166*/A.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
Try repairing your hard drive with the grey installation disk. To do this put the disk in your computer when its on, restart and hold the C key. This will take a little bit to load, then select your language and you will be brought to a welcome window. Select Utilities > Disk Utility > Select your Hard drive > First Aid > Repair.

OP
Z
Reaction score
I don't have that disk with me. Can I use the Snow Leopard installation DVD? Or is some other disc?

Thanks...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Freezing is usually caused by either a bad hard drive or bad memory. And yes, you can use your Snow Leopard DVD to run Disk Utility.

Reaction score
I had mine freeze on me a few times when i would go to NikeID.com I had to hold down the power button to turn it off.

Now, im new to Mac and was wondering what are the keys to push so I can close applications like on a PC it's Alt+Cntl+Del

I was trying that on my Mac with other variations but nothing happened untill a few seconds later i had like 4 small windoes open from me pushing the keys but was unable to click and of the options on the windows.

thaks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Command + Q to quit an application, or option + command + escape to force quit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
I would also consider connecting an external USB mouse or keyboard to see if it's just the internal mouse and keyboard not responding or a full lockup.

OP
Z
Reaction score
So like you suggested, ince it froze, i used an external mouse. Its like the KB and mouse just stop responding for some reason.

Any suggestions what that may be? I recently had my system board swapped out due to the faulty graphics card issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
So if the external mouse is still working, but internal keyboard and mouse are not, it might be the zif connector between the top case and the main board. Sometimes it doesn't get snapped in completely, or maybe there was trash in the plug and it didn't seat fully. If you recently had the board serviced, I'd take it back to them, let them know what's going on and ask them to check it out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.