iCal - To do Recurrence: is it possible?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook White Unibody 2,4Ghz
I'm trying to use the tasks part of iCal, To Do, instead of using the Outlook one (i'm coming from an Windows Desktop, that i used with Outlook for a long time) and had some problem. One of the MOST dumb one that i would prefer to think that i'm just not found this yet is this: the recurrence.

How can i create a To do item and then make it occur again in, for example, next month? Or every month?

Reaction score
You have to Edit the task, under repeat you'll find different options for repeating.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
You can also once set up click the task and copy it (right click) and then go to what ever date you want and paste it in . . . . Should work OK if its for certain days and not like a month or week at a time

Cheers

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You have to Edit the task, under repeat you'll find different options for repeating.
Sorry, but where is this option? On the "edition mode" of To do Items, i don't have anything about repeat, only on appointment.

You can also once set up click the task and copy it (right click) and then go to what ever date you want and paste it in . . . . Should work OK if its for certain days and not like a month or week at a time

Cheers
Yeah, but it's the same thing that i create every task i need. For that i don't need the tasks if i need to remember to create all the task-group. In that case i try not forget to duplicate the task as soon as i complete it. It's not practical, but works. But, as i say, the Tasks from Outlook, for example, are a lot better than this one. Even the Google Tasks, on site, is better than this one of Mac. But i'll be ok with that if just have the recurrence "technology". :Angry:

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, i found a solution. Not in iCal, but using a third-part program: Things. Until now i'm very satisfied about it. It's not cheap, at least i don't think so, but is really simple, practical, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Well, i found a solution. Not in iCal, but using a third-part program: Things. Until now i'm very satisfied about it. It's not cheap, at least i don't think so, but is really simple, practical, etc.

Care to share ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3

But iCal will do what you want, and you already have it. Maybe somebody will post an image from iCal for you... hint, hint (I don't do images)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, not in To Do, in Calendars. Why must it be in the To Do list?

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Simple: because i want to repeat Tasks, not appointments! Tasks and Appointments, at least to me, is very differente, that's why i can't create an appointment instead of a to do/task item.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
An iCal calendar can do tasks and appointments. You can create calendars. Name one Tasks and one Appointments. I have Payment, ALert/Urgent, B'day/Annniv., To Do, and Trivia calendars. Each is a different color on the calendar. Don't get hung up on that and let it stop you from using iCal to do exactly what you want it to do, just in a different "area" than you envisioned.

I don't understand the last part of your post. You can't create an appointment?

Does the "snooze" feature help you? I'm not sure how long you can make it "sleep", or whether that would be saved through a Restart. That won't get you a "repeat every month" of course. You'd have to "reset" it every time.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
toMACsh, i now understand what you're talking about. And, yeah, thanks for the help, it could be useful. But the problem is that is not the same as a task/to do. I could, of course, figure something out, to help it, but it's more easily, for example, use the To Do and make a copy every month/week/year/etc than use the appointments for somethings.

For example: in appointments, you can't see what you've already done and what you still need to do. Yeah, of course, can arrange for it, but it's an arrangement.

I sync my calendars with Google. The only reason i don't care that much using another program is that google still don't have sync for tasks. So, if i use iCal or another program for it will be the same. When google do the sync for tasks to, and create a decent way for doing tasks as well, i'll, for sure, make the sync. But, for now, if i return to iCal i'll use the To Do list the same way i was doing the last days, before Things came up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.