MacBook Pro wont start up :(

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I just purchased a MacBook Pro Unibody, late 2008 model, it wont start up or do anything, I plug the power adapter in and there is no light on the adapter end, took it to the apple store and tried one of their power adapters, light comes on but goes off 20 seconds or so, wont start up with that power adapter either, also the battery doesn't seem to be charging, I plug the power adapter in and read the voltages on the pins where the battery sits and they read 12.6 volts or something but as I said the battery wont charge, when I hit the battery test button it gives no light/lights, when I pull the battery out and plug the power adapter in and hit the battery test button the lights go up and down (like the front of kitt in knight rider) but still it wont start up, so do these things start up just on ac power or must the battery be in? could it be the battery or is it more than likely the logic board? I have no idea about macs as this is my first one.
Thanks in advance for any help :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
Well have you tried a new battery?
Or does it power up with the battery out but AC in?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
Again, beat me by seconds -_-

OP
M
Reaction score
Wow that was fast!! No I haven't tried a new battery, wont start up with battery out and while power adapter is plugged in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
Wow that was fast!! No I haven't tried a new battery, wont start up with battery out and while power adapter is plugged in.

Hmm so a new battery would probably be a waste of money.
You might need a new DC board.
Check out iFixit: The free repair manual and throw in your model and you should get a guide on how to replace the DC board. I'm not 100% sure a DC board is the fix tho, but it's the likely next step.

OP
M
Reaction score
Well ..new DC board arrived today but it does exactly the same :( so it must be the logic board :Not-Amused:

OP
M
Reaction score
I replaced the logic board and it now works .. had to be the most expensive option :Angry: ..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.